Re: Staying in Forms for Checkboxes

Annette Moore

Can you have it manually switch between browse and focus modes without it automatically opening a combo box when you come to one? having it do so in a combo box is why I don't have it manually switch between the two. System Access, the screen reader I previously used, would automatically allow you to start typing in an edit box, but when you got to a combo box or a drop-down menu, you had to hit alt+d I believe. I don't recall now if that keystroke opened combo boxes or just drop-down menus, but anyway, when I started using NVDA, I had it set to automatically switch, but then, one time, I was shopping and ran into a combo box. Not realizing the thing had opened automatically, I nearly ended up buying way, way more than I'd intended to by inadvertently selecting a high number of whatever item it was I was trying to purchase. I don't even remember now what the item was, but I remember thinking, OK, I don't want this thing automatically opening the combo box and confusing the heck out of me! So I'm just wondering: Can you have it switch between browse and focus modes, while not automatically opening combo boxes. I'd rather open those myself. If not, I'll just keep it the way it is. It's nothing, really, to hit alt space when I need to write something. Only takes a second to do.

Annette

On 2/26/2019 3:14 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 04:05 PM, Steve Nutt wrote:
ChromeVox
This reply is not meant as a "jumping down your throat," but once you get to an ecosystem other than Windows we're talking about an entirely different world.

You are not alone, however, in liking the automatic switching between modes.   I prefer it except in very specific circumstances, and those occur so seldom that I'd never make the default be manual switching.

Some of this comes from when different people began using screen readers, too, as at one time manual switching was the default.  It's all pretty much in what you got used to and comfortable with.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back