Re: POP is unwise [was: Being Unsubscribed for Marking Messages as Spam #adminnotice]

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 11:33 AM, Antony Stone wrote:
depending on your requirements there is nothing unwise about POP3.
But, just for the ease of changing computers when you need to or e-mail clients when you want or need to, even on a single machine, it is unwise.  The amount of work needed (if you want to port your messages, and most do) is immense with POP and virtually non-existent with IMAP.

These are things that a very great many people really don't think about until confronted with it, and then it's far, far too late.   An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and I have yet to find a single "plus" to POP in the age of IMAP.  [And I've been around since well before the age of IMAP.]

When something is clearly better when the entire picture is taken into account, it's simply better, and using something almost destined to cause additional work and/or heartache at some point in the unspecified future is unwise.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back