Re: backing up thunderbird

Arlene

Hey list! Arlene here; I'm writing to you on this new win ten laptop.
My win 7 box bit the dust! I lost all sound. A sighted person can
operate it. But I could not. I just got this computer on Tuesday.
One question I want to ask. Can I put Gmail onto Thunderbird? If so,
How can I do it? Thanks! Have a good night!

On 2/28/19, Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@roadrunner.com> wrote:
Hi Annette,

As far as I can tell, everything is saved. I just updated a day ago and
when I opened the back up version of Thunderbird on my back up system,
the address book, the folder structure (I have 17 sub folders under
Inbox) the layout and even the order of message selection was saved.

On 2/28/2019 4:07 PM, Annette Moore wrote:

ron, does this save all of your configuration, as well as your
messages? I care more about the configuration than about actually
keeping any of my messages because it took about an hour for me to get
everything I wanted/needed configured to the way I needed it sinceI
have three email accounts. I have the instructions saved that Richard
Wels gave me, but shoot, if I could back all that up and not have to
go through that again with any clean install of thunderbird on a
future new computer, that would be great!

Annette

On 2/28/2019 1:13 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:

Hi Group,

This probably varies from mail program to mail program, but when
using Thunderbird, you can back up almost everything by doing the
following.

1. Close Thunderbird.

2. From the run dialogue, type %appdata% and press enter.

3. You are in the roaming folder. This folder contains all the
application data, settings, address book and e-mails from Thunderbird.

4. navigate to the folder named Thunderbird and when highlighted,
press control + C to copy that folder.

5. Then paste this folder onto a thumb drive, external hard drive or
some similar device and you have everything backed up.

6. Now if for some reason, you need a fresh install of Thunderbird
or if you get a new computer and use Thunderbird, you can simply
install Thunderbird and navigate to the Roaming folder as described
in steps 1 through 3 above and paste the contents of the Thunderbird
folder that you have copied into the Roaming folder.

I do this every few days to keep the mail and settings of Thunderbird
backed up.

On 2/28/2019 1:14 PM, marcio via Groups.Io wrote:
100% agreed. Very, very well said, indeed.

Now I definitely would like to know how I can backup my messages. I
never did it before just because I never knew it was even possible.
Help me with this, please?

Cheers,
Marcio

Em 28/02/2019 15:09, Travis Siegel escreveu:

Wishing something would go away because it doesn't fit your
definition of what is useful is just plain silly.

If that were the case, then I wish narrator would go away, I whish
jaws wold go away, I wish windows would go away. Hell, I wish
microsoft would go away.

\See, it serves no purpose.

There are people who use pop3, and it works just fine for them.
There are definitely use cases where pop3 is a better fit than
imap, and there are use cases where imap is clearly the better
alternative. Wishing one or the other would go away is just
ignorance talking.

If you don't wish to use it, then don't, but that doesn't mean that
others who are fully aware of what they're getting, and do wish to
use it shouldn't do so. I for one much prefer pop3, for several
reasons, including disk usage, security, issues, ease of backup,
and others.

When folks talk about folks loosing years worth of emails because
they used pop3, my question is did those folks ever backup their
mail? I'm thinking no. Sure, it's not the easiest thing to move
mail from one email client to another, but you're just as likely to
loose all your imap messages if your email provider goes bye-bye as
well, and nobody here can tell me that's never happened.

It's six of one, and half dozen of the other, use what works for
you, and allow others to use what works for them.

With my old internet provider, I had a pop 3 account. After I got
to a certain amount of messages, my email started bouncing. I
don't think people are using pop so much anymore but I could be
wrong. I wish pop 3 would go away too.