Re: Windows OCR Programs for jpg and pdf files

Gene

I believe they both have demos.  Omnipage had a bug for years, perhaps more than a decade.  I don't know if it has been corrected.  When decolumnizing two or more columns of print on a page or when decolumnizing two pages scanned as though it was one page, parts of sentences would be misplaced.  Fine Reader never had this bug.  I see no reason to assume that Omnipage is generally better.  It may be roughly equivalent in terms of quality but if that bug still remains, that is a serious detraction, especially since a lot of PDF documents have more than one column that is going to be decolumnized.

But if both have demos and you try them, be sure you use some PDF documents you know have at least two columns that must be decolumnized.

From: Kwork
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2019 5:30 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows OCR Programs for jpg and pdf files

Thank you adrian. I've heard of OmniPage, and remember it being the defacto for many before Finereader came along.

All suggestions are welcome.

Travis

On 2/28/2019 3:13 PM, ADRIAN POCOCK wrote:

Hi Kwork

One outstanding piece of software is OmniPage Ultimate.

It also has the ability to convert a document into mp3.

Depends if you want to spend a lot or not, if you are going to use it a lot then maybe or use an android phone using adobe and acrobat apps together which does work well but a bit of a learning curve.

Hope this helps a bit.

Best Adrian Pocock.

On 28/02/2019 21:52, Kwork wrote:
I'm looking for a good and NVDA accessible OCR program that will work on jpg and pdf files. I've heard that ABBYY FineReader has been recommended in the past, but wondered what would fill my needs now. I don't have a physical scanner, so that's not a consideration at this time. Thank you.

Travis