Re: how to know when a thread is locked

Sarah k Alawami

As mod of my lists I don't an-ounce when a topic will be locked, but all 500 members or so of my lists know me by now and when they see a thread is locked they know to stop posting on said topic(s) I stay in the background mostly but that's ' the way I run things. In fact no one really knows Im mod until I step forward which is so rare it's not even funny.

On 28 Feb 2019, at 16:32, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 07:15 PM, ADRIAN POCOCK wrote:
Do you see the irony ....
No, but I've seen the problem on every e-mailing list I've ever been on.   Luckily, topic locking is very seldom necessary.

I'm actually kind of glad things have worked out as they did.   This will happen on rare occasion not only on this group, but any e-mailing group (whether groups.io or not) if a topic is locked.

Any moderator or owner should show the basic courtesy to announce a topic is being locked when that occurs so it can be known and that message should show up as the most recent one in an e-mail thread/conversation.

I really doubt I'll end up locking a topic again for quite a while, but I would always state it has occurred in a message immediately before it were to be locked.

The "locked bounce" is an insoluble side-effect in an e-mail list where topics can be locked and where someone attempts to respond after that has occurred.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back