Re: backing up thunderbird

Kevin Cussick

Hi, no worries are you going to try it?

On 28/02/2019 23:45, Brice Mijares wrote:
Thank you for the info.
On 2/28/2019 2:36 PM, Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io wrote:
it is a program for backing up everything in any Mozilla program and then you can restore it say on a clean install and have all your stuff like address books and so on in mail.   and bookmarks. in your firefox.

On 28/02/2019 22:29, Brice Mijares wrote:
Would you explain what this most backup is? thank you.

On 2/28/2019 2:14 PM, Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi,   the easy way is download moz backup  and install it this will back up everything I have used it for years. download link from my one drive folder below.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ame5fFtwuKO3zFyN0iTjnA0hiJe3

On 28/02/2019 21:07, Annette Moore wrote:
ron, does this save all of your configuration, as well as your messages? I care more about the configuration than about actually keeping any of my messages because it took about an hour for me to get everything I wanted/needed configured to the way I needed it sinceI have three email accounts. I have the instructions saved that Richard Wels gave me, but shoot, if I could back all that up and not have to go through that again with any clean install of thunderbird on a future new computer, that would be great!

Annette

On 2/28/2019 1:13 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:

Hi Group,

This probably varies from mail program to mail program, but when using Thunderbird, you can back up almost everything by doing the following.

1.  Close Thunderbird.

2.  From the run dialogue, type %appdata% and press enter.

3.  You are in the roaming folder.  This folder contains all the application data, settings, address book and e-mails from Thunderbird.

4.  navigate to the folder named Thunderbird and when highlighted, press control + C to copy that folder.

5.  Then paste this folder onto a thumb drive, external hard drive or some similar device and you have everything backed up.

6.  Now if for some reason, you need a fresh install of Thunderbird or if you get a new computer and use Thunderbird, you can simply install Thunderbird and navigate to the Roaming folder as described in steps 1 through 3 above and paste the contents of the Thunderbird folder that you have copied into the Roaming folder.

I do this every few days to keep the mail and settings of Thunderbird backed up.

On 2/28/2019 1:14 PM, marcio via Groups.Io wrote:
100% agreed. Very, very well said, indeed.

Now I definitely would like to know how I can backup my messages. I never did it before just because I never knew it was even possible. Help me with this, please?

Cheers,
Marcio

Em 28/02/2019 15:09, Travis Siegel escreveu:

Wishing something would go away because it doesn't fit your definition of what is useful is just plain silly.

If that were the case, then I wish narrator would go away, I whish jaws wold go away, I wish windows would go away. Hell, I wish microsoft would go away.

\See, it serves no purpose.

There are people who use pop3, and it works just fine for them. There are definitely use cases where pop3 is a better fit than imap, and there are use cases where imap is clearly the better alternative.  Wishing one or the other would go away is just ignorance talking.

If you don't wish to use it, then don't, but that doesn't mean that others who are fully aware of what they're getting, and do wish to use it shouldn't do so.  I for one much prefer pop3, for several reasons, including disk usage, security, issues, ease of backup, and others.

When folks talk about folks loosing years worth of emails because they used pop3, my question is did those folks ever backup their mail? I'm thinking no.  Sure, it's not the easiest thing to move mail from one email client to another, but you're just as likely to loose all your imap messages if your email provider goes bye-bye as well, and nobody here can tell me that's never happened.

It's six of one, and half dozen of the other, use what works for you, and allow others to use what works for them.

With my old internet provider, I had a pop 3 account. After I got to a certain amount of messages, my email started bouncing. I don't think people are using pop so much anymore but I could be wrong. I wish pop 3 would go away too.