Re: Reading subtitles in Netflix with NVDA

JM Casey

I don't really know anything about Netflix, and this might not be avilable for some of the new shows there, but it might well be for older ones and movies. I usually just find a file with an .srt extension on the internet, and download it to my braille display device. It's not the best arrangement as the subtitles don't move with the dialogue as they are supposed to, but it's not so bad once you get the hang of it; you just have to focus pretty hard. I'd much rather do this than listen to a synth or a human reading the subtitles, talking over the actual actors in the film!

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mallard
Sent: March 4, 2019 2:51 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Reading subtitles in Netflix with NVDA

Hello Gene,

Thanks.

I know how to get around Netflix in Android, although subtitles there aren't very usable.

A friend and I were trying to see them on computers, so I'll have a look
at the page you recommended.

I can find audiodescriptions without diffilulties. I'm currently
watching The Crown and Black Mirror, plus a couple of Italian series and
La Casa de Papel in Spanish, which I'd started watching last year, but
now I discovered audiodescriptions, and it's a great thing...

Ciao and thanks,

Ollie

Il 04/03/2019 20:41, hurrikennyandopo ... ha scritto:

Hi

I was lazy but this page will mostly cover what you want depending on
the device you use. It also has it for the computer if you use that.

The link to this page is https://help.netflix.com/en/node/372
<https://help.netflix.com/en/node/372>

They also do audio description a lot of people do not know that. Also
net flix works with the google mini or smart speakers from them with a
chrome cast.

When setup you use your voice to control it like play, resume rewind etc.

Gene nz

On 5/03/2019 4:16 AM, Mallard wrote:
Hello all,

Is it possible to read subtitles in Netflix with NVDA?

I found a great tutorial in Accessibility Central, but can't find any
reference to subtitles.

Thanks, stay well,

Ollie

--
Image NVDA certified expert
material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net

Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the
APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of
their computers. To find out which location (or locations) are nearest
to you please visit
(Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find out which software is
installed on the APNK network please visit the following
linkhttp://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/software To find out
how to use NVDA on APNK computers please visit the following
linkhttp://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.info/faq/nvda

To find out which software is available on the Christchurch City
Library network, and how to start the NVDA screen reader, please go to
the following links. Software available
https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/faq/computers/#faq_5884How to
start the NVDA screen reader on Christchurch City Library computers
https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com/faqs/what-screen-reader-software-is-available/

To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following
link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page
contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around
the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.