Re: NVDA the miracle of modern assistive technology

Devin Prater

Lol Shaun, Narrator gets rather good upgrades each release of
Windows. GW Micro cannot be bought, it’s already a part of Vispero or
whatever they’re calling themselves now, VFO before. System Access is
kind of dying off, the need for a fourth screen reader isn’t really
there. Narrator, at this point, has one feature that none of them have
ever had, the ability to "caption" UI elements, usually images or
inaccessible controls, using Microsoft’s Vision AI. NVDA can do OCR, but
Narrator does that and gets a description of the element.
--
Devin Prater
r.d.t.prater@gmail.com

"Shaun Everiss" <sm.everiss@gmail.com> writes:

Hmmm, maybe.

I wouldn't call narator a screen reader no matter what microsoft says.

Ok, from a total piece of shitty crap gimic its assended to a usefull assistive tool,
certainly good enough to be accessible in microsoft programs and where that is
concerned thats fine I guess.

Outside it its still a bit hit and miss.

So it could rise to become a screenreader, but I doubt it will, maybe upgrade that
from never to be well maybe it will or it won't, I am giving a lot of leeway into what
I would define a screenreader to actually be.

One thing I would define a screen reader as not that it can read the screen, but it
can cope with a lot of challenges a user may access daily, icons, some graphics, and
some nonstandard programs.

Nvda does read things reasonably well, and while it can read most interfaces its
strength is the web that includes but is not limited to web based programs.

Fortunately for the end user web interfaces have taken off in the last 5 years.

Everyone has its limitations.

If nvda has any, in terms of limitations they are quite small, its all depending on
the imagination of the user chucking out crazy ideas and then a really crazy
programmer to make those become reality or it can be the other way round.

Some crazy programmer can chuck his dream at the unsuspecting user and make a
real big splash without the comercial fanfare.

To be honest if I was microsoft, I would ditch the crap that was narator, and just
buy gwmicro and make it its own.

I mean it had it once but its to late to get what it lost now.

It wouldn't have to do much to keep windoweyes running either and it would be
established.

The biggest weakness with dolphin is their either unwillingness or really slo
progress in upgrading their internet engine to work with more brousers than
internet explorer which microsoft has deemed insecure and crap.

Even before that everyone caught up with well everything else.

Jaws, I don't know you need scripts to run everything, in nvda true you do have
scripts nvda is one big script after all.

However in jaws you need to have scripts to even run jaws.

I also have reservations on its licencing system especially for some modules and
extras.

I have never used screen access to properly say either or on the subject so I won't,
the screen access to go app when it worked was good as far as it was.

To be honest, the only thing microsoft has is this piece of crap called narator which
microsoft had a chance to kill completely but didn't.

Why they didn't just buy wineyes when they had a chance is anyone's guess, now
they are trying to slowly get back the reputation for crappy narator instead of going
with something else.

They are making it harder on themselves to be honest.

Even if narator does achieve status of a screen reader, I don't know.

Nvda is what narator should be right now and its not even close.

On 4/03/2019 5:20 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

You forgot narrator, it's an upcoming screen reader but it to me deserves a
place in the standing tall category.

On 3 Mar 2019, at 18:37, Pascal Lambert wrote:

Thank you. Eloquently stated. Ditto.
Blessings
Pascal