Re: Draft view in Microsoft word.

Quentin Christensen

This is one of those cases where Word tries to be a little bit too clever for its own good.  You can set the default view to Draft, however Word saves the view within individual documents, so unless you last saved the document in Draft view, it could open in another view.

The ribbon shortcut key for draft view is alt+w, then e.

There is a direct shortcut key, which is control+alt+n.  Most of you should recognise that keystroke as the one that you can use to start NVDA.  You can change that keystroke, or the other option is to create an entry on Word's Quick Access Toolbar to switch to draft view.  You can then press ALT+1 to access the first item on the Quick Access Toolbar, ALT+2 for the second and so on.

To edit the Quick Access Toolbar, open Word, then press ALT+F, then T to open the Options.  Press CONTROL+TAB until the focus moves to the "Quick Access Toolbar" category.  Press TAB once to "Choose commands from".  Either choose "All Commands" or "View Ribbon", then TAB to the list of commands and find "Draft" and press ALT+A to add that to the toolbar.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 12:26 AM Robert Kingett <kingettr@...> wrote:

I get these in daily digests, so, sorry for the late reply, but draft view strips out the toolbars and also unnecessary font styles to simplify writing. It's far speedier to write and edit documents in. Plus, the ribbon opens quicker too, for some reason. I have no clue how it looks visually, but it even increases the speed of the spell checker, for some reason. Maybe it's because I'm using an older HP laptop with a clogged up registry and god knows what else in here, but if I notice a huge increase in speed, after switching to draft view, it must be stripping visual junk out of the window. I haven't tried it on my 256 GB SSD ACER yet but I've noticed an extremely massive boost in speed and editing speed after switching to draft view. Anyway, can I tell MSW, Microsoft Word, to run Macros as soon as I open documents? The screen reader help for Macros only talks about running them manually, and my only experience with Macros is using an autocorrect backup Macro someone created for word 2003.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess