Re: O T, windows update

Antony Stone

Is there a way to tell the system "I know I don't have enough disk space for
this backup folder, but I want you to do the update anyway, without creating a
backup"?

Antony.

On Thursday 07 March 2019 at 12:43:14, Chris Mullins wrote:

Hi

This will be the update to Windows 1809 which I installed last week and
prior to that I had similar messages. This is what is known as a feature
update and is different to normal updates as it creates a Windows.Old
folder containing the previous Windows version, which gives you the option
to revert back to the previous version if you want. The Windows.Old
folder on my system is just over 8Gb in size and I suspect the message
about making space available you are getting, relates to having enough
disk space to accommodate this folder. Windows.Old will automatically
deleted after a few weeks, giving time for you to get used to the new
Windows version.

Your system may have attempted to update to 1809 but doesn’t have
sufficient disk space available. Have a look in Settings (Windows+i),
Update and Security, Windows Update then tab to “View Update History”.
You should be able to check what is happening in there.

Cheers

Chris

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of The
Gamages via Groups.Io Sent: 7 March 2019 11:11
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] O T, windows update

Hello,

My a pologies for the off topic message, but has anyone had a similar
experience as I am having at the moment.

Several weeks ago I got a message purporting to come from Microsoft asking
me to free up space for a new update which was larger than normal, I chose
to be reminded later, since then the message changed to a choice of “pick
a time”or “remind me later”, now it is saying either “restart now” or
“wait an hour”.

So far I have not allowed this update, has anyone else had this experience,
it seems a different procedure to earlier updates, by the way I have
version 1803 at the moment.

Thank you for any comments and advice.

Best Regards, Jim.
--
Software development can be quick, high quality, or low cost.

The customer gets to pick any two out of three.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.