Re: RCFV software beta

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Imagine what it might do to Wikipedia articles!
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, March 08, 2019 12:49 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] RCFV software beta

Often enough to make many articles not properly readable, names or parts of sentences are presented as links. I don't know if I will play with this software but I wonder how it compares to reading views you can use in firefox and in Chrome, using an attachment in Chrome.

If links aren't somehow evaluated as to whether they should remain in the text, such a feature would be, for the most part, useless.

for example the sentence, Link: President Trump end of link signed the bill addressing the aid request for link: hurricane disaster, end of link, relief. With links removed, the sentence would read signed the bill addressing the request for relief.

I don't know if people pay attention to how often links are proper names or refer to something like an ongoing story.

Gene.
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2019 5:42 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Cc: tony.zackin@...
Subject: [nvda] RCFV software beta

Hi everyone,

Tony Zackin is developing software which, while not specifically aimed at blind users, includes a couple of features, such as a text browser, which might be of interest. If you'd like to find out more and try it out, please see Tony's information below.

Kind regards

Quentin.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 9:19 AM
Subject: RCFV software beta
To: Quentin Christensen <quentin@...>

Quentin,

Attached is information regarding the installation of the latest release of my software, RCFV. I have played with it using NVDA and found that it seems to work adequately. Of course, the program is designed for power users so any average user, sighted or not, might have some issues using it. Despite that, I think some members of your community might find it useful. If so, I would be inclined to tweak it a bit to make it more user friendly, if necessary, for use with NVDA. Please feel free to distribute it as is. It is currently freeware and will probably remain so although that is not set in stone.

If the software is not useful for your community that is fine but if you guys do see some value in using it please get back to me at tony.zackin@... with any suggestions for improving it, particularly for your needs.

Thanks for your attention.

Tony Zackin

Takamomto, LLC

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 4:40 AM <tony.zackin@...> wrote:

info@...

I am in the process of releasing beta software that is not intended specifically for the visually impaired but does potentially have some applicability. It has a number of unique features not necessarily relevant to you but there are a couple that you might be interested in. One of them is that it has a text browser component. Now, I know that text browsers have been around for many years and I am guessing that many visually impaired people use them. However, my software offers the ability to not only extract just the text from many (but not all) web sites but also to filter it using enhanced regular expressions which can be predefined for each website accessed. Consequently, what appears on the display can be only links to other pages or just the text of a news article, or both, etc. but without other unwanted, superfluous text on the page making it a very nice platform, IMO, for your NVDA software.

While playing with your software using Firefox, Edge, and Chrome I noticed issues with reading links. Using Firefox they were ignored while in Edge they were verbalized but then followed by the actual url value. Clearly a text browser that ignores links completely can solve that problem but obviously at a cost. My software can optionally hide all links so that all the user gets is the text. But that is not the optimal solution, of course, since the link information is usually important. The way my software is designed is to normally provide hyperlinks in the text which are delimited by control characters which are normally invisible to the reader. (These control characters are used by the software to determine the location of hyperlinks in the text.) When NVDA reads a link in my software it vocalizes the beginning and end control character for the link. In other words, link text is not only verbalized but the existence and boundaries of the link are also announced to the listener who can then optionallly click on it to open that page. However no long url is verbalized. BTW, my software can also present links as explicit urls if the reader or, in this case, listener, is interested.

To summarize, my software was not intended for the visually impaired. It is actually designed primarily for power users who have a facility with regular expressions. However, blind users with access to knowledgeable sighted helpers could potentially benefit from using it in conjunction with your software. To be honest it has a very visual interface which might be confusing when using a screen reader. It might be possible to simplify the interface though for the visually impaired community.

As I said earlier the software is currently being beta tested. It has been thoroughly tested in-house and works with very many web sites including many popular news, political, and technology sites. If you are at all interested in taking a look at it, or know someone else in your community who might, please respond and I will give you a link to the web page containing the currently existing tutorial documentation and the setup program.

Thanks for your attention.

Anthony Zackin

Chief developer, Takamomto, LLC

tony.zackin@...

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess

---------- Forwarded message ----------
To:
Cc:
Bcc:
Date:
Subject: New beta version of RCFV plus new tutorials

The latest beta version of RCFV is 0.0.0.2192.4670 and can be downloaded from the shared folder

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Gu-J1WMsUnTIxVgufzdMuAio2GjsyeRn?usp=sharing

Before doing anything please read the download instructions below.

If you already have an older version of RCFV installed please uninstall it first. You can manually run “unins000.exe” in “Program Files\RCFV” or “Program Files (x86)\RCFV” or just uninstall via “Programs and Features” in the Control Panel.

In additon to the RCFV setup code there are some new tutorials which I urge you to read before playing with the program. More tutorials will be coming in the future.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download instructions

I recommend that you download the setup file using either the Firefox or MS Edge browser. If you use Chrome you will get a warning because this is new software and you may have difficulty downloading it without changing the Chrome security settings. Please note that RCFV is now digitially signed. That, in and of itself, doesn’t make it secure, but it should assure you that the software is from my company, Takamomto, LLC and has not been tampered with by a third party. To reassure you I recommend that before running the setup program you submit it to an online virus scan at https://www.virustotal.com by either dragging and dropping or selecting the setup exe file from your download directory. Please notify me at the email address below if the virus scan is not “clean”.

Please note that since this is a “new” program many anti-virus programs, including MS Defender, may mark it as a suspicious application. Since you won’t be installing it unless it passed the online virus scan you should allow your system to install it. The way you override such a warning depends on the software involved but I trust that you can Google how to do this if you do not know. Windows built-in MS Defender will “protect” you from new and unrecognized applications with a pop-up as displayed below. Just select “More info” and then “Run anyway” on the subsequent screen and you should be good to go.

Any feedback about the program or tutorials would be appreciated at rcfvbeta@....

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Tony Zackin

Takamomto, LLC

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.