From: "Gene" <gsasner@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, March 08, 2019 12:49 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] RCFV software beta

Often enough to make many articles not properly readable, names or parts of sentences are presented as links. I don't know if I will play with this software but I wonder how it compares to reading views you can use in firefox and in Chrome, using an attachment in Chrome.

If links aren't somehow evaluated as to whether they should remain in the text, such a feature would be, for the most part, useless.

for example the sentence, Link: President Trump end of link signed the bill addressing the aid request for link: hurricane disaster, end of link, relief. With links removed, the sentence would read signed the bill addressing the request for relief.

I don't know if people pay attention to how often links are proper names or refer to something like an ongoing story.

Gene.
From: Tony Zackin <tzackin@...>
Date: Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 9:19 AM
Subject: RCFV software beta
To: Quentin Christensen <quentin@...>

Quentin,

Attached is information regarding the installation of the latest release of my software, RCFV. I have played with it using NVDA and found that it seems to work adequately. Of course, the program is designed for power users so any average user, sighted or not, might have some issues using it. Despite that, I think some members of your community might find it useful. If so, I would be inclined to tweak it a bit to make it more user friendly, if necessary, for use with NVDA. Please feel free to distribute it as is. It is currently freeware and will probably remain so although that is not set in stone.

If the software is not useful for your community that is fine but if you guys do see some value in using it please get back to me at tony.zackin@... with any suggestions for improving it, particularly for your needs.

Thanks for your attention.

Tony Zackin

Takamomto, LLC

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 4:40 AM <tony.zackin@...> wrote:

info@...

I am in the process of releasing beta software that is not intended specifically for the visually impaired but does potentially have some applicability. It has a number of unique features not necessarily relevant to you but there are a couple that you might be interested in. One of them is that it has a text browser component. Now, I know that text browsers have been around for many years and I am guessing that many visually impaired people use them. However, my software offers the ability to not only extract just the text from many (but not all) web sites but also to filter it using enhanced regular expressions which can be predefined for each website accessed. Consequently, what appears on the display can be only links to other pages or just the text of a news article, or both, etc. but without other unwanted, superfluous text on the page making it a very nice platform, IMO, for your NVDA software.

While playing with your software using Firefox, Edge, and Chrome I noticed issues with reading links. Using Firefox they were ignored while in Edge they were verbalized but then followed by the actual url value. Clearly a text browser that ignores links completely can solve that problem but obviously at a cost. My software can optionally hide all links so that all the user gets is the text. But that is not the optimal solution, of course, since the link information is usually important. The way my software is designed is to normally provide hyperlinks in the text which are delimited by control characters which are normally invisible to the reader. (These control characters are used by the software to determine the location of hyperlinks in the text.) When NVDA reads a link in my software it vocalizes the beginning and end control character for the link. In other words, link text is not only verbalized but the existence and boundaries of the link are also announced to the listener who can then optionallly click on it to open that page. However no long url is verbalized. BTW, my software can also present links as explicit urls if the reader or, in this case, listener, is interested.

To summarize, my software was not intended for the visually impaired. It is actually designed primarily for power users who have a facility with regular expressions. However, blind users with access to knowledgeable sighted helpers could potentially benefit from using it in conjunction with your software. To be honest it has a very visual interface which might be confusing when using a screen reader. It might be possible to simplify the interface though for the visually impaired community.

As I said earlier the software is currently being beta tested. It has been thoroughly tested in-house and works with very many web sites including many popular news, political, and technology sites. If you are at all interested in taking a look at it, or know someone else in your community who might, please respond and I will give you a link to the web page containing the currently existing tutorial documentation and the setup program.

Thanks for your attention.

Anthony Zackin

Chief developer, Takamomto, LLC

tony.zackin@...