Re: Threaded emails view in Outlook

Gene

When you move in a list with control and a movement key, you are not changing what is selected.  If you have the first message in the list selected, it remains selected.  that's true in any standard list, of files, for example,  When I move through a list of files, at times, I keep control pressed because I can get speech feedback much more quickly as I move through the list.  When I get to the file I want to open, I release control, then up and down arrow to return to the file I want to open.  With control no longer held, the file that is now selected is the one I have just moved to and pressing enter opens it.  You can try the same thing with e-mails.

Sent: Saturday, March 09, 2019 11:48 AM
Subject: [nvda] Threaded emails view in Outlook

Hello all and especially Brian Vogel,
I was trying to use Outlook with Threaded list of emails view. Brian
Vogel gave me advice that I should navigate through this list using
Control+Up and Down arrows to prevent the threads from autoexpanding.
That works at first glance, but here is the problem I ran into. Supposed
I am initially at the very first email in the list. I press Control+Down
a few times until I find the right email that I want to open. Suppose
that's just a single email, not a thread. However, when I press Enter on
it, Outlook would open the very first email in the list, not the one
that I selected using Control+Down arrow. It feels like there are two
types of cursors there and Control+Down is moving the wrong type. So how
to open the right email? Is there perhaps a keystroke to sync these two
cursors?

I was trying to do it naive way - Once I'm on the right email with
Control+Down, I would try to press up and then down, but then again,
because the threads are autoexpanding on me, pressing up and then down
doesn't necessarily bring you to the same email. Do you have any other
suggestions?

Thanks
Tony