locked Re: OT: Stascom 2019 is available for download

Gene

I might be able to find specific examples, but instead, I'll simply point out that things aren't patched immediately.  Also, there have been instances where people go to sites with malicious third party advertising that has infected their machines.  Whether a patch is issued in a week or three isn't relevant.  Its already happened.  And this problem has been written about in major media outlets.  I saw an article in the New York times about it a few months ago.

If someone is going to recommend something, they should give some idea of what it is.

Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2019 3:42 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] OT: Stascom 2019 is available for download

Can you back up the statement that a single click can leave your
computer infected with malware? If there's a vulnerability in the major
browsers, it should be fixed pretty quickly.

Here's the info from the webpage that seems most important:
Program features
• Battery status on laptops is reported automatically while disconnected
from charger,  while charging, or both. The notification intervals  are
configured in the Configuration Manager. As can be expected, this
feature and associated  options  are hidden on desktop computers;
• Contact Manager, including  yearly customisable audio and text
birthday reminders for listed contacts. Alert options are either audio
and text, text only, or disabled. If set to audio and text, the audio
alert will be repeated after 15 minutes (by default), if a reminder is
not acknowledged. The interval can be changed to  half hourly, hourly,
or disabled in Configuration Manager. This module is mainly for the
benefit of users who do not have access to a smartphone, or possibly
those who prefer the flexibility and simplicity of the Stascom
alternative. The current version does not feature importing contacts
from an external file source such as csv;
• Reminder Manager with audio and text alerts, with optional repetitions
on a future date. Audio alert sound can be changed if desired. The same
customisable options as with birthday reminders, are available. See above;
• Calculate day of the week for any date between 1 January 1601 and 31
December 9999;
• Maximises application windows automatically. Window title exceptions
can be specified ;
• Prevents mute status on default sound card automatically. Recovery
volume is configurable;
• Low volume correction on default sound card (disabled by default).
Minimum and normalise levels are configurable;
• Two schedules and output percentage for automatic volume adjustment
can be specified (disabled by default);
• Password Generator, creating a unique, very strong 10 character
password with each keystroke. Generated password can be copied to
clipboard optionally;
• Time announcements on the hour,  half hour and  quarter hour.
Individual hours can be specified, or disabled altogether.  Custom audio
chimes are optional if preferred over the included sound clips;
• Accented and other special characters  can be easily inserted with hot
keys;
• Alphabetical list of 51 Windows applications and settings quickly
accesseible with a hot key;
• master volume level increased / decreased   by 5% with hot keys,
ascending / descending tones to indicate the volume adjustment;
• Word count for selected text in commonly used editors and browsers,
with an option to place the result on the Windows clipboard. This
feature is not supported in some editors and e-mail clients with
non-standard cursors. The results are more accurate than in most similar
packages, as it ignores all punctuation and special characters;
• Program configuration can be reset to installation defaults;
• Report generator, providing a summary of program settings and system
information in HTML format for easy navigation;
• Choice of three sets of modifier keys to use with Stascom hotkeys. A
bypass key suspends Stascom hotkeys for five seconds.