Re: using win 7 after january 2020

Hi,

Don't worry, I'm still in vacation. I just happen to come across a note taped to the lab door asking for clarifications about a few things.

Answers:

  • Windows 7 and NVDA: I cannot pronounce things for NV access people, but I expect Windows 7 support from NVDA will continue for a while past January 2020.
  • Windows 7 support past 2020: before anyone can jump in, I must announce that the article Adrian linked to is not entirely accurate as the poster implies. Although it does spell out the fact that some people will be eligible for paid support past January 2020, it is only meant for businesses, and cost will rise over time. As far as consumers are concerned, end of support is January 2020 and no extensions unless Microsoft says something within the next few months.
  • Add-on Updater: Brian V is right - I've been updating the add-on to add more add-ons to update check eligibility list, along with planning to drop support for old NVDA releases. I think it'd be best to discuss that add-on in a separate topic.
  • Windows 10 App Essentials: as much as keeping up with NVDA is important, it is also important to keep in touch with what's happening with Windows 10. Hence, recent releases of this add-on have been about both aspects: keeping up with NVDA development, and catching and dealing with bugs found in recent preview builds for Windows 10 Version 1903 (April 2019 Update). Suffice to say that some of the most important workarounds that were part of Windows 10 App Essentials add-on are now part of NVDA itself. And no, as I wrote a few days ago, I won't ask you all to update to NVDA 2019.1 in order to use this add-on for a while.

Cheers,

Joseph