Re: using win 7 after january 2020

Mohamed

Apologies, I misread the post, I thought the registry hack to get POS ready updates wasn't stated in the original message for some reason, but yes, those updates have or will be dropped this year.

On 3/11/2019 12:56 PM, Mohamed Al-Hajamy wrote:
Actually I think that registry hack gave you updates for Windows Embedded POS Ready, a version of XP that is primarily used in ATMs and the like, which is I think still being supported but will itself lose support this year if it hasn't already, not the updates governments are paying for.

On 3/11/2019 8:09 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:

Yes Our nhs and the folk who used into in ATMs paid for updates, and there was a registry hack to pretend to be one of the latter at the time and freeload off the back of that.
I doubt they will be falling into that trap this time. As I say, I have no beef with windows 10, I do have the beef about the way you are forced to update it completely every six months with variable results on your installed software and accessibility with nvda. As Joseph seems to have to keep on updating the essentials add on the changes have to be significant.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
----- Original Message ----- From: "ADRIAN POCOCK" <ampbeast@live.co.uk>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2019 10:21 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] using win 7 after january 2020

Hi all

This might interest you, support after 2020 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjBsuq77vngAhWJVRUIHdQZDX8QFjABegQIBhAF&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.digitaltrends.com%2Fcomputing%2Fmicrosoft-charges-windows-7-support%2F&usg=AOvVaw3bFaguXM-wB1WZtzZMQxhW

Regards Adrian.

On 11/03/2019 09:39, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.I wrote:
I don't know, but with the xp experience in the main MSSE still works on Intel machines there, and I suspect they will continue for a while.
The real end of XP was governed by third party software dropping support for it, but it still carries on working with the old stuff, and I've never had any problems with viruses, just very slow web sites in the main and often the inability of older browsers to access some sites. I suspect much the same will apply to Windows 7. Whether Microsoft will stop the old hack to get additional updates is debatable, but be wary of such things.
I do not know the NVDA policy on this. But I imagine there will be a heck of a lot of windows 7 users just like there was xp users for a couple of years so unless there is a compelling reason not to support it, I think it will work for a while yet, and in any case if you keep with the same nvda version then it will work as it always did.

To be honest the main reason not to use 10 is the new OS every 6 months issue. WE get used to things being as we learn them and often the updates change stuff all the time and can be a bit of an effort forĀ  those who use third party software.
Otherwise I'd be on Windows 10.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk<mailto:bglists@blueyonder.co.uk>
Sent via blueyonder.