Re: Nvda and the International phonetic Alphabet, (IPA)

Teri McElroy <shimzin.lists@...>

Hello Lev

I have just recently emailed the list to find out about this same topic. You can go to the nvda menu, then preferences, punctuation/symbol pronunciation. You'll need to input the symbols along with how you want the speech engine to pronounce them. However, I don't think putting in the unicode values is going to work. You'll need to input the actual symbol along with how you want NVDA to pronounce it. I've just tried entering a unicode value here and it didn't work for me. But when I enter the actual symbol, it does.

You can find information about punctuation/symbol pronunciation in section 11.2.2 of the online userguide. It will explain about inputting symbols.

Hope that helps.

Teri

On 13-Mar-19 8:18 AM, Lev wrote:

Hello,

I have noticed that espeak reads some symbols of the international phonetic alphabet; however, this can not be done by other synthetic voices, so my question is this:

How to make that nvda reads correctly those symbols regardless of the synthetizer?

Or, how to make that other synthetizers read those symbols?For instance, vocalizer.

I got the Unicode transcription for all the symbols that I want.

The syntaxis is this:

U+00E6=Ash

Where the term “ash” is the proper name for that particular symbol.

So, is there a file inside the installation folder of nvda or user settings where I can paste that syntaxis to have nvda reading all those symbols?

Thanks for any info.

--
Literophilus