Re: using win 7 after january 2020

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

I'm puzzled, why would say this isn't a legal practice?
The whole point of opensource is so others can modify the software to meet their needs. There's nothing illegal about forking a project and making changes to it. Lots of mainstream projects came about this way, librioffice was a fork of open office, maria DB was a fork of mysql, and even apache has had forks become well known in their own right, though I can't remember the project names off the top of my head, and I'm too lazy to go look them up. Forking a project and making a new one is perfectly legal, and often times, it's even encouraged, because changes made to those other projects sometimes get rolled back into the original project, which helps everyone get better software.

On Wed, 13 Mar 2019, Shaun Everiss wrote:

Actually windows 10 isn't that bad to be honest with the right tweaks installed.

The only reason I have the stuff I do is to make the shell a bit easier to use, and its only a little bit.

There are a few classic apps I have as well as a few other things, though now some of the universals are opensourced like calc there is no reason why someone couldn't create a blind or classic version and call it something else.

I have seen modified projects which have forks back to the original base project so it seems this is an acceptable if not legal practice.