Re: Why does NVDA say torado instead of tornado?

Dan Beaver

Actually, each synth has its own pronunciation table.  This table tells it how to pronounce strings.

the problem is that someone set those tables up so that it tries to figure out words from partial strings and grammatical rules. Of course, in English this is very difficult.   They didn't organize the tables so that they are truly alphabetical and so some of the strings are in the wrong order.

The result is that some words end up garbage.  It is fixed by either the developers fixing their tables or else folks like us adding an entry in the pronunciation dictionary for our systems that fix each one as we find them.  They generally use the dictionaries on our systems before resorting to the tables in the synth itself.  That is why we can fix them if we choose to.

Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)

On 3/15/2019 1:01 PM, Gene wrote:
Maybe it’s a proper name in one or more languages.  Some synthesizers pronounce the word "reading" as "redding" when capitalized for
Redding Pensylvania.  So, a sentence with reading capitalized at the beginning, would be spoken "Redding this book was a particularly memorable experience."

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2019 11:52 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Why does NVDA say torado instead of tornado?

I’ve just noticed that voiceover on the iPhone does the same thing! What is it about the word tornado!

Sile
> On Mar 15, 2019, at 4:38 AM, Mallard <mallard@...> wrote:
>
> Could it be Vocalizer? I must try that...
>
> Ciao,
>
> Ollie
>
>
>
>
> Il 15/03/2019 03:40, Travis Siegel ha scritto:
>> I haven't noticed this behavior on NVDA, but the iPhone does this all the time, and it irritates the hell out of me.
>>
>>> On 3/14/2019 7:43 PM, Sile via Groups.Io wrote:
>>> Hi, why does NVDA say to Rado when the word tornado is capitalized but tornado when it is not?
>>>
>>> Sile
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>

-- 
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.