Punctuation/Symbol pronunciation

Can anyone explain what the Level setting actually means in this dialog?  The possible values are: none, some, most, all, character.  There also seems to be some sort of tie between this and the complex symbols, which are particularly opaque and don't appear to be regular expressions, though they might be.

As well as how the preservation setting, "only below a symbol's level" interacts with it/them.

The User's Guide does not go into the function of these two options with any depth at all.  If there is other reference material, I'm happy to read that if someone can tell me where it's located.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back