From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Clare Page
Sent: 01 July 2016 11:48
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Some issues with NVDA's reading

Hi !

It’s true that a space before a question mark is syntactically incorrect in English, but it is correct in French, where any punctuation symbols made up of two parts, such as the question mark and the colon, the latter being two dots above each other, are always separated from the last word of the sentence. I personally can’t think of any languages where doubole question marks are the norm, but even in English some people right multiple exclamation marks.

Given what I wrote above about the French standard for question marks, I don’t think NVDA should automatically read a question mark if it is separate from the last word of a question, as that may well annoy French users of NVDA, or even multilingual users like me. So it’s probably better that anyone who wants a separated question mark to be spoken for proof-reading should either review the ends of their questions character by character, or tweak their punctuation settings somehow. That’s just my opinion: I have no problems with questions in English, French or German, the three languages I use myself.

Bye for now!

From Clare