Re: Some issues with NVDA's reading

Chris Mullins

Hi Clair

Thanks for your contribution re French.  If the language is set to French in the NVDA settings, does the space between 2 part symbols and the last word of a sentence get considered when the text is processed and spoken, as it is syntactically correct for that language?  Not having any other language than English I can’t say but I agree with you that it shouldn’t be read automatically by NVDA and should remain configurable via the Punctuation/Symbols Pronunciation dialog.

Cheers

Chris         

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Clare Page
Sent: 01 July 2016 11:48
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Some issues with NVDA's reading

Hi !

It’s true that a space before a question mark is syntactically incorrect in English, but it is correct in French, where any punctuation symbols made up of two parts, such as the question mark and the colon, the latter being two dots above each other, are always separated from the last word of the sentence. I personally can’t think of any languages where doubole question marks are the norm, but even in English some people right multiple exclamation marks.

Given what I wrote above about the French standard for question marks, I don’t think NVDA should automatically read a question mark if it is separate from the last word of a question, as that may well annoy French users of NVDA, or even multilingual users like me. So it’s probably better that anyone who wants a separated question mark to be spoken for proof-reading should either review the ends of their questions character by character, or tweak their punctuation settings somehow. That’s just my opinion: I have no problems with questions in English, French or German, the three languages I use myself.

Bye for now!

From Clare

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: vendredi 1 juillet 2016 00:38
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Some issues with NVDA's reading

Chris,

And what I'm telling you is that the first version of the question does not read correctly, to my ears, in either NVDA or Window-Eyes and the second two read precisely the same way.

Since double exclamation points and double question marks (and/or combinations thereof) are not uncommon I have no issue with a screen reader reading these without any extra string of punctuation.

I agree that a terminal space before the question mark itself is syntactically incorrect and the words should be read followed by "question mark" announcing the punctuation.  There is no case in written English that I know of where a question mark can "free float" and be syntactically correct.  It is always firmly attached to the final word in a question construction.
--
Brian

I worry a lot. . . I worry that no matter how cynical you become it's never enough to keep up.

~ Trudy, in Jane Wagner's "Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe"

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.