Re: NVDA and icons in the system tray

Roger Stewart

The problem I have here is I can access the One Drive icon, but the only option I get here is to sign up. There is no option to turn it off or never shows this message again. I wish there were.!

Roger

On 3/23/2019 5:24 PM, Kevin Cussick via Groups.Io wrote:
I have meant to report this about the one drive problem for ages but just keep forgetting.  anyway Now I am just saying the same as has been reported.

On 23/03/2019 18:41, Jackie wrote:
Kostadin, just curious--do you have mouse tracking on in NVDA?
Insert-m toggles it.

On 3/23/19, Kostadin Kolev <k.kolev1985@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello all,

NVDA seams to have problems activating some icons in the system tray, for
example the one for OneDrive. At first I thought that it was not a NVDA
specific issue but a global screen reader / accessibility one, but after
testing with Narrator as well, it turns out that at least the problem with
OneDrive's system tray icon is specific to NVDA (Narrator is not affected).

To reproduce the issue, I press Windows+B to go to the system tray. I use
up/down arrow keys to move the focus to the OneDrive's icon (OneDrive must
be running). Then I press the space key to simulate a single left click with
the mouse. All those are Windows and not NVDA commands. With Narrator, this
works as expected and the pop-up window for OneDrive appears. With NVDA
however, nothing happens. A person which cannot see the screen would wonder
why it is so - what is different. I have some vision left and can see what's
going on. For some reason, when pressing Windows+B and the system focus gets
moved to the system tray area, NVDA also moves the mouse cursor there and
for some reason, that causes the failure of the execution of the command
with the spacebar to simulate a single left mouse click. With Narrator and
with no screen reader running, the mouse cursor does not get moved to the
system tray when the system focus gets moved there and the command gets
executed correctly and the OneDrive pop-up window appears as it should.

So, does anyone (specially the NVDA developers) know why NVDA moves the
mouse cursor to the system tray area when the system focus gets moved there?
Because apparently this causes problems with some icons in the system tray.
And now that I think of it, I wouldn't be surprised if the appearance of the
problematic so called "Network Flyout" pop-up window under Windows 7 is
caused by this behavior as well.

P.S.: I'm not asking for help/assistance with workarounds to activate such
"problematic" icons in the system tray - I know how to handle them,
including with the "SysTrayList" add-on for NVDA. This is not the purpose of
this message. I'm asking why NVDA is causing the explained above behavior of
the mouse when pressing Windows+B.

Thanks much in advance!

______
Best wishes,