Re: Windows logon screen: was Problem with Secure Desktop

Roger Stewart

I'd be very interested on how to get rid of the log on screen in Win 10 as well. I have it set to not need a password, but it still hesitates there for several seconds waiting for something and then it will go on and get to Windows desktop just fine but would be good if I could just bypass this step completely.

Thanks.

Roger

Hi John

If you do not mind getting rid of it all together so it boots straight
into windows that is easy enough to do, but you might have to tab around
use the arrow keys etc to try and get focus.

I do have a tutorial to get rid of the log on screen if you are
interested just let me know once you get into windows.

You might be able to get to it also with the physical mouse and let it
speak what is under it and get in that way.

Gene nz

On 2/07/2016 12:22 AM, John J. Boyer wrote:
I followed the instructions in the mesage below to copy the current
configuration to the Windows logon screen. However, i missed the
checkbox to have NVDA work at that screen. Now after making some
changes, including setting Windows to never slep, it boots directly into
the logon dialogue and says Configuring Windows. That is the NVDA
mesage, but it won't do anything more. Is there a way to get past this
dialogue and proceed to a normal boot?

Thanks,
John

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 10:36:32PM -0700, Tyler Spivey wrote:
Secure desktop is the desktop for things like UAC screens, and the Windows logon screen.

This uses a completely different NVDA profile, with a separate speech/braille config. By default it's set to espeak.

My first guess is your machine is going to sleep, and it's asking for your password when it wakes up. You can turn off sleep in the power options.

If you want to copy the current configuration to the secure desktop, so it uses the same speech/braille settings as the logged in NVDA, you can do that.
* Press ctrl+NVDA+G, to open the NVDA General settings.
* Press the button that says Use currently saved settings on the logon and other secure screens (requires administrator privileges).
* If the secure desktop appears during this process, it's probably an UAC prompt. Press alt y.
If you want NVDA to work at the logon screen, the General settings dialog has a checkbox for that as well.

On 6/27/2016 9:54 PM, John J. Boyer wrote:
If I don't do anything on my machine for a while it goes to Secure
Desktop, whatever that is, and NVDA is not working. The only way I can
get out of it is to shut down the machine and turn it back on. Does
anyone know what Secure Desktop is and how to get rid of it?

Thanks,
John