From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian's Mail list account
Sent: Saturday, July 2, 2016 5:44 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [NVDA] NVDA and Windows 10

For the record and reading some of the chatter elsewhere there seems to be several issues here. Firstly, the dodgy access does not just affect nvda, it tends to affect all the screenreaders. There is an inferred criticism from Microsoft that they should be using the new api developed for Edge etc, to get around these issues not the older uia or msaa. However as has been pointed out by manufacturers of the screenreaders, since the Edge api has been buggy and altered so often, it would mean continual updates of the screenreaders when it got broken, so best to use thedevil you know.
The real issue from my point of view as an outsider is that Microsoft should have actually got this working properly before they unleashed the operating system at all, so its all their fault,but that is me saying that, and I'm not party to secret discussions behind the scenes.
There has been and still is a rumour circulating that Windows will have its own inbuilt screenreader 'shortly'.
However if the evolution seen or rather not seen in Narrator is anything to go by, its not even close yet.
Maybe they are buying the rights to Window Eyes instead who knows.

I have one machine with 10 on it and it is not so much the lack of accessibility I find annoying but the way it seems to stop you doing many things you should be able to do as an admin in the past, and of course the reliance on those tonka toy designed ribbon menues.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-