Re: NVDA does not seem to recognize the new commenting feature in Excel

Quentin Christensen

I don't have a timeline, but I do have three issues related to this you can follow on our GitHub issue tracker if you are interested:

Reporting comments and notes: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/9193
Adding a note to Excel causes NVDA to stop speaking: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/9194
New style comments not being reported: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/9195

Regards

Quentin.

On Sat, Mar 30, 2019 at 3:21 AM Rick <softwarethatworks@...> wrote:

Recently, Microsoft has changed the commenting feature in Excel. The old commenting feature is now called notes and the new feature is called comments. The new comments feature allows for threaded comments. It does not appear that NVDA recognizes these new comments. If there is a cell with a note, NVDA announces that a comment is present. If there is a cell with a new type of comment, NVDA does not identify that a comment is present. When viewing the elements dialog, NVDA only reports notes and not the new comments.

The following link describes this new feature compared to the old way of commenting.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/the-difference-between-threaded-comments-and-notes-75a51eec-4092-42ab-abf8-7669077b7be3

I understand that NVDA will need to catch up to this new feature. Is there a timeline?

Thanks, rick

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager