Re: Kind of O.T.: Accessibility Guidelines for Software Developers

Antony Stone

You might be better off asking this on the developers' list.

To post: Nvda-devel@lists.sourceforge.net

Antony.

On Saturday 02 July 2016 at 15:50:15, Brian Vogel wrote:

Yes, I know this is not NVDA specific, but I can't find a better place to
ask this question and I know some developers lurk and post here.

On another forum that's blind-related, the question came up about a program
to dim the screen as night comes on so that the glare can be significantly
reduced and the color temperature changed. Such a program exists, and
it's called f.lux and it works beautifully but, it appears to be 100%
inaccessible via any of the "big three" screen readers: NVDA, JAWS, and
Window-Eyes, and I suspect Narrator will be no better.

I have actually dropped an e-mail to f.lux support noting this situation
and suggesting that they make tweaks to the user interface to make it
accessible as software updates are made. I actually suspect I might hear
back from them and, if I do, I'd love to be able to point them directly to
documentation or guidelines or standards that software developers need to
consult to bring this about. Since I've been out of "that end of the
game" for a very, very long time now I have no idea what those are or
where to point anyone who'd be interested in that sort of information.

Please feel free to contact me off-list if this topic is considered too far
off-topic. This is a group that I know has members who do know "this
stuff" so I thought it a good place to inquire.
--
"In fact I wanted to be John Cleese and it took me some time to realise that
the job was already taken."

- Douglas Adams

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.