Re: Selecting text in notepad

Sile

Yes, it’s using shift up arrow or shift down arrow to select text so that you can move it.

Sile

On Apr 2, 2019, at 9:34 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

I suspect that what is being discussed is selecting by moving, such as moving by line, not using the read selected text command or read what is on the clipboard command but we'll see if that is what is meant.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, April 02, 2019 8:12 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Selecting text in notepad

NVDA reports the number of characters selected when it is over 512 from memory.  Are you selecting more than that number of characters, or is it doing it for smaller amounts now?

If it's that you happen to be selecting more than 512 characters, that isn't new, but you could create an issue outlining the reasoning for wanting the ability to have all selected text read as an option.  Partly the reason for implementing it was synthesizer lag processing large amounts of text.

If the issue is that you have less than 512 characters selected then that is unintended and I'd be interested in more information about your system and exact steps to reproduce.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 10:54 AM Sam Bushman <libertyroundtable@...> wrote:
This happens to me as well. I hate that - we need the actual data not the char count.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sile via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, April 2, 2019 5:10 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Selecting text in notepad

Hello

I have noticed that with the latest version of NVDA, when you select text in notepad using shift-down arrow (or shift-up arrow), sometimes NVDA announces the text you have selected (as it used to do) but sometimes it just announces how many characters have been selected.

I am using windows 10, and the most recent release of NVDA.

--Sile

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.