I did a little more testing and, as you suggested, the problem is when more than 512 characters are selected.

This can only happen in Notepad when word wrap is unchecked as then you can have a whole paragraph appearing as a single line of unwrapped text.  If you check the word wrap option in notepad, the problem goes away.

--Sile

On 2019-04-03 5:03 a.m., Sile via Groups.Io wrote:
Yes, it’s using shift up arrow or shift down arrow to select text so that you can move it.

Sile
On Apr 2, 2019, at 9:34 PM, Gene <gsasner@gmail.com> wrote:

I suspect that what is being discussed is selecting by moving, such as moving by line, not using the read selected text command or read what is on the clipboard command but we'll see if that is what is meant.