Re: whats the best version of firefox for using with old systems?

Gene

The instructions for using about":config in this way don't sound to me as though they have anything to do with multiple processors.  It sounds like turning off Firefox's ability to open more than one tab as multiple home pages when you run it.  It won't do so anyway unless you set multiple home pages.  I've never looked into how to do that.  The wording of what you are discussing discusses multiple tabs, which has nothing to do with multiple cores.  Multiple core operation means that a program can use more than one core in a processor so that the tasks are spread out and can be done faster because, in essence, more than one processing unit is working on them.

As far as the browser being designed to use multiple cores, that diagnosis of the slower response in version 52 doesn't sound correct to me.  I am not a tech, and I may be wrong.  I would expect that if a computer only has one core, the program will use that one core and it will use it as it always did.  Where, Brian, did you get the information that the multicore design is responsible for the slower operation?  that just doesn't sound plausible to me.

From: zahra
Sent: Wednesday, April 03, 2019 12:05 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] whats the best version of firefox for using with old systems?

also, firefox 48 supports multiprocess.
does it mean that firefox 48 also is not good for me?
to disable multiprocess in every version of firefox, in the address bar, type
about:config
accept the warning message.
in the search bar, type
browser.tabs.remote.autostart
or peist it and press tab to find it.
press enter on it to make it false, if its value is true.