Re: NVDA in pithon three?

cisco

Hi there. Actually, this is pretty cool! Hope development goes well.

On Apr 3, 2019, at 7:13 AM, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:

NVDA is predominantly written in the Python programming language.  Currently, the bulk of the code is compatible with Python 2.7.

Python 3 is a large update to the Python language which is not entirely backward compatible, so many parts of the NVDA code will need to be rewritten.

A small example:

In Python 2.7, you can display the word "Hello" with:
print “hello”

In Python 3, the same command is:
print (“hello”)

In that case, it is a matter of adding parenthesis ( ) but in other cases a command might need to be replaced with something entirely different.

From a user's point of view, you don't need to know or do anything.  We will update NVDA and the plan is to roll out a new version of NVDA with the updated code which shouldn't be any different for end users.  The benefit for users is that it will open up new commands in Python 3.  Also, new developers are starting to learn Python 3 without knowing Python 2.x so they won't need to learn an older version of Python in order to contribute.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 3:30 PM cisco <audiogamer2004@...> wrote:
Hello there. So, what is this thing regarding NVDA in both and three? I don’t know anything about it! Thanks for incoming explaining’s.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess