Re: Code Factory Blues

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi Margaret

Start your copy of nvda with the following keys ctrl + alt key + the letter N

Now you have NVDA running press the following keys the NVDA key + ctrl key + the letter S this will bring up the select synthesizer settings in NVDA. You can arrow down and up this area to see what other synth packages there are.. You should be able to select one from the ones there. If you say the other ones have become unregistered it may not be a good idea to pick them until they are..

You should after picking one be able to tab down to the ok button then press the enter key on the ok button.

To pick a voice from that package do the following

Press the nvda key + ctrl key + the letter V this will bring up the voice settings section in nvda.

You will notice in this section it will also say the synth package you used and you can change it from there this is in nvda 2019.1

Tab down until you hear NVDA say voice or if you tab again after it varient. In either of those 2 sections it is a combo box you can use the down and up arrow keys to pick a voice. find one you like and press the enter key on it to select it.

You can also change the rate of your voice etc from this section.

You can then use the nvda key + ctrl key + the letter C to save your configuration.

To update your version of nvda use the nvda key + the letter N then when the preferences section comes up or the menu then arrow down to help a sub menu will come up i think when you use the right arrow key. then arrow down to check for updates and press the enter key.

It will then check for a update and if this is one which there will be download it to your computer it will install over its self. Just follow the directions to do that.

Hope it helps.

Gene nz

On 6/04/2019 5:26 AM, Margaret Thomas wrote:
Hi, All:

I'm once again trying to learn NVDA after many years as a     JAWS user running 64 bit Windows 7 Home.

One of my problems is that my attempts keep being interrupted by one thing or another and I have to start virtually all over from scratch.  I purchased a couple of Code Factory voices  with one being an Eloquence that sounds reasonably like the Eloquence with JAWS that I'm used to. Apparently, I upset Code Factory by not loading NVDA frequently enough for them since the voice switched to something else from Eloquence that it had been on the last time I used NVDA and I apparently have to re-register the Code Factory voice again.  This will be the third time and I'll be in search of another synthesizer since I have a problem understanding eSpeak or whatever the current one is.  Could someone please remind me how to find out what the current one is?  During one of my previous attempts, I found that the SAPI voice for Win 7 was easier to understand than eSpeak, but can't remember how to switch.  Could some kind person please provide instructions?

I'll check out voices again when I can get NVDA more understandable, but does anyone know if there has been anything new other than from Code Factory in the last several months that works with Win 7?

I seem to be running NVDA 2018.1.1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Margaret