Re: Quick Question

Sarah k Alawami

I used tones; remember vocal-eyes? I miss that as well.

Take care

On 5 Apr 2019, at 13:34, JM Casey wrote:

Yep, I remember using Bex in my early school days.

I don’t miss it, but now that you mentioned it, yes I do remember the capital pitch-change!

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Howard Traxler
Sent: April 5, 2019 4:10 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Quick Question

Anybody remember back in the early '80s: David Halliday produced the Braille Edit and BEX which were word processing programs for the Apple 2 series computer?  He made the pitch rise if the first letter of a word was capitalized; and rise even higher if the whole word was capitalized.  One could get used to that and it wouldn't slow down reading like saying "cap" before capital letters.  It was quite innovative for those years.

On 4/5/2019 11:58 AM, Gene wrote:

It appears that what is wanted is an indication of a capital letter when reading, not arrowing letter by letter.  This has been needed for a long time in NVDA.

Sent: Friday, April 05, 2019 9:52 AM

This does exist. It's in settings under speech. In the synth area there
are choices of pitch change for caps or "say cap" If say cap is on, then
whenever you arrow across a capital letter, it will say the word cap
before the letter. I think this is what you want.

Roger