Re: Blind people typing Chinese

Clement Chou

Hi Brian.

Japanese Braille doesn't differentiate between Katakana and Hiragana
symbols. But it would be closer to say that the braille represents
Hiragana. That is a little difficult to explain though if you don't
know the three writing systems and the way they work, which is beyond
the scope of this topic.

And as a general uestion since we're discussing Chinese, does anyone
know of any tts voices that suporting reading of any hinese dialects
aside from Mandarin and Cantonese? I am looking specifically for one
that reads the Min-nan dialect, also known as fujian, Hokkien,
taiwanese, etc.

On 4/8/19, Michael Munn <michaelrbms@gmail.com> wrote:
I kind of agree with you sir. I'm a Chinese Immigrant and I studied at the
Beijing School for the Blind for 3 years and In BSB Students are required
to learn braille. During Computer classes,I was taught how to use a Screen
reader called Sunshine. I was also taught to use Sogou. Another advantage
about Sougou is that a person can custemmize it's dictionary that make's
life much easier for those people who are doing a job as a court reporter.
Braille display is an expensive tool in China that a blind person by itself
can't afford. Only the School for the Blind and the Beijing Talking book
Library or the Braille and Talking book Library of China have them. Thanks
Best Regards
Michael Munn
Michael Munn
National Federation of the Blind of Virginia www.nfbv.org
Member: Maryland Association of Blind Students
National Federation of the Blind of Maryland www.nfbmd.org
www.hadley.edu

On Sun, Apr 7, 2019 at 10:22 AM Clement Chou <chou.clement@gmail.com>
wrote:

Thanks for the fascinating information Larry!

On 4/7/19, Larry Wang <larry.wang.801@gmail.com> wrote:
There are numerous Chinese input methods. This was a key problem when
processing Chinese with computers. There are roughly one hunderd
thousand number of Chinese characters. About six thousand of them are
mostly used in daily life. But there are only about one hunderd keys on
keyboard. At first publishing houses use big key board with many keys.
Input methods based on pinyin or zhuyin is not very popular at that
time
since you need to spend many time on finding the correct character you
want to type. Also users at that time mostly rely on word processing
jobs, accuracy and efficiency is important.
A man called Wang JiangMin invented WuBi.With that you can type in most
Chinese character within four letters, as long as you memorize a set of
rules and practice for about a week.
At about 2006, people brought smart prediction into pinyin input
methods. The experience of pinyin input methods are much better now.
Since most people in mainland China have already learned pinyin in
primary school. Other types of input methods which requires additional
rules practice start fading away. Few people learn other input methods.
Wubi and other input methods are now learned by professionals and
enthusiasts. Sougou is the most popular one of these pinyin input
methods. But smart prediction is based on collecting your keyborad
input
data, so there is a privacy issue. Sougou pinyin also pop up
advertisement sometimes. So I do not recomment using this. Input
methods
bundled with operation system is just enough.

Support for microsoft pinyin and wubi is broken in windows 10 and 8.1
so
you may find it hard to use.

As for braille.
There are three types of braille in mainland China. Two of them are in
NVDA, another one has just been published about a year ago and has not
gain popularity yet. However all of them are based on pinyin. They
cannot represent the shape of Chinese characters. Most schools for
blind
in mainland China do not teach how to write Chinese characters. So even
if you use braille input, you still have to choose between many
candidates. Someone created a braille based on Chinese characters, but
it is not widely used. Braille display is more expensive than smart
phones and computers and its usage is very limited. Braille has
advantage in proof reading and learing but the nature of Chinese
braille
make braille less appealing for students. Word segmentation and tone
mark makes braille even harder to understand. Even braile itself is not
popular among blind people in China.