Re: New Member.

Gene

People may be able to answer the question to an extent by discussing certain kinds of jobs or uses on jobs, but to answer your question for your specific job, people would have to know how you use a computer, what prohgrams you use, and if you use specialized programs and what they are.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2019 12:15 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] New Member.

Thank you, Gene, good information to know.

On a daily use, does NVDA meet the demands of a fast-paced job, assuming that you can access a major portion of what is needed?  In my job, I found Jaws had some limitations with clunky work-arounds, but not often, and did not compromise my productivity.  Just trying to keep my questions in perspective.  Thanks.

Judy

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, April 9, 2019 10:13 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] New Member.

In JAWS, you can define graphics.  You can't in NVDA.  As far as I know, because I'm not using a recent version, you can't, in NVDA, change the order in which information is spoken such as button followed by text as opposed to text followed by button or the order in which visited link is spoken, before or after the text of the link. 

You can't define frames, as you can in JAWS and have actions taken when a frame contains certain text or have that part of the screen that is in the frame read when you issue a command to do so.

I haven't used JAWS for many years and others may have more comparisons.  But, though NVDA will meet the needs of a lot of people, there are cases where it won't, or at least it won't unless someone writes some sort of script for NVDA.  So in certain ways, JAWS is more user definable.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2019 12:03 PM

Subject: [nvda] New Member.

Greetings To The List,

My name is Judy Jones, and I am mainly a Jaws user, but am going to start using NVDA more, and thought this list would be a great resource.

Are there things that Jaws can do that NVDA does not do so well?  I have already found a couple things NVDA does better than Jaws, and would like to hear all pros and cons.

Thanks to a special friend of mine whom I hope is on the list, I now have Eloquence as my NVDA TTS.

Thanks to all, and also to the one who helped me find this list.

Judy

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.