Re: Code Factory Blues

Larry Wang

It seems that your voice setting isn't saved after you change them.

Did you choose to save settings automatically when NVDA exits? Did you save settings after changing voice?

On 2019/4/10 5:34, Margaret Thomas wrote:
Gene and All:

I want to change the voice since the Code Factory Eloquence I remember is close to the                 JAWS Eloquence which is both good and bad.  The good part is that it is familiar and the bad is that I'm still at the point with NVDA where I have to switch back to JAWS to get something done quickly or the differences and having to concentrate instead of muscle memory get to me and I need to change.  If I leave the computer, I have to do the JAWS read current line to tell which synth I was using.

Also, I understand that by clicking on I agree to the Code Factory license agreement, I gave them the right to do their monthly probe or however often they issue it.  I wish they could do it without changing my chosen voice.  Yes, registering is free, but my memory is that it is not easy and involves having to dig up codes to plunk down in the appropriate places.

If I load             NVDA and do     NVDA key plus Control-S, I land on Sapi 5 with a male voice.  My memory is that I thought the Microsoft voice I had was female and Sapi 4 which was more understandable for me than eSpeak. Whatever voice I'm on now is also better than eSpeak.

I thought I remembered that there was somewhere in the NVDA menu where one can listen to the installed voices, but I haven't found it yet.

I got         NVDA updated to the current version and I'm running 64 bit Windows 7 Home.

I apologize to the list since this is not a good time to try to learn something new, but every time I've run into a bad patch and have had to stop and think I'll resume at a better time, there hasn't been a better one and I've reached the conclusion there isn't going to be.

Thanks to everyone for their patience.

Margaret
On 4/5/2019 2:00 PM, Gene wrote:
First, why do you want to find another voice if all you need to do is reregister the Code Factory Voice, especially if you want Eloquence?  As far as I know, registration is free.  I believe, though you can check, that if you run NVDA once a month with the voice, you will remain registered.  So just running it for a moment with the Eloquence voice should be all you need to do.
As far as changing to the Microsoft voice on your computer is concerned, are you using the SAPI version of Eloquence or the Add-on?  It may affect how you run the Microsoft voice.  I'm not sure I can tell you just how to switch but answering my question may make it easier for you to find out.