Re: Code Factory Blues

Larry Wang

It seems that your voice setting isn't saved after you change them.

Did you choose to save settings automatically when NVDA exits? Did you save settings after changing voice?

On 2019/4/10 5:34, Margaret Thomas wrote:
Gene and All:

I want to change the voice since the Code Factory Eloquence I remember is close to the                 JAWS Eloquence which is both good and bad.  The good part is that it is familiar and the bad is that I'm still at the point with NVDA where I have to switch back to JAWS to get something done quickly or the differences and having to concentrate instead of muscle memory get to me and I need to change.  If I leave the computer, I have to do the JAWS read current line to tell which synth I was using.

Also, I understand that by clicking on I agree to the Code Factory license agreement, I gave them the right to do their monthly probe or however often they issue it.  I wish they could do it without changing my chosen voice.  Yes, registering is free, but my memory is that it is not easy and involves having to dig up codes to plunk down in the appropriate places.

If I load             NVDA and do     NVDA key plus Control-S, I land on Sapi 5 with a male voice.  My memory is that I thought the Microsoft voice I had was female and Sapi 4 which was more understandable for me than eSpeak. Whatever voice I'm on now is also better than eSpeak.

I thought I remembered that there was somewhere in the NVDA menu where one can listen to the installed voices, but I haven't found it yet.

I got         NVDA updated to the current version and I'm running 64 bit Windows 7 Home.

I apologize to the list since this is not a good time to try to learn something new, but every time I've run into a bad patch and have had to stop and think I'll resume at a better time, there hasn't been a better one and I've reached the conclusion there isn't going to be.

Thanks to everyone for their patience.

Margaret
On 4/5/2019 2:00 PM, Gene wrote:
First, why do you want to find another voice if all you need to do is reregister the Code Factory Voice, especially if you want Eloquence?  As far as I know, registration is free.  I believe, though you can check, that if you run NVDA once a month with the voice, you will remain registered.  So just running it for a moment with the Eloquence voice should be all you need to do.
As far as changing to the Microsoft voice on your computer is concerned, are you using the SAPI version of Eloquence or the Add-on?  It may affect how you run the Microsoft voice.  I'm not sure I can tell you just how to switch but answering my question may make it easier for you to find out.
Gene
----- Original Message -----
*Sent:* Friday, April 05, 2019 11:26 AM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:* [nvda] Code Factory Blues

Hi, All:

I'm once again trying to learn NVDA after many years as a JAWS user
running 64 bit Windows 7 Home.

One of my problems is that my attempts keep being interrupted by one
thing or another and I have to start virtually all over from scratch.  I
purchased a couple of Code Factory voices  with one being an Eloquence
that sounds reasonably like the Eloquence with JAWS that I'm used to.
Apparently, I upset Code Factory by not loading NVDA frequently enough
for them since the voice switched to something else from Eloquence that
it had been on the last time I used NVDA and I apparently have to
re-register the Code Factory voice again.  This will be the third time
and I'll be in search of another synthesizer since I have a problem
understanding eSpeak or whatever the current one is.  Could someone
please remind me how to find out what the current one is? During one of
my previous attempts, I found that the SAPI voice for Win 7 was easier
to understand than eSpeak, but can't remember how to switch. Could some
kind person please provide instructions?

I'll check out voices again when I can get NVDA more understandable, but
does anyone know if there has been anything new other than from Code
Factory in the last several months that works with Win 7?

I seem to be running NVDA 2018.1.1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Margaret

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.