From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Norton
Sent: April 11, 2019 2:41 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] O.T.: A friend needs info on screen readers history for her thesis

Hi:

I'm sorry for coming in on this, as it is probably not relevant anymore, but, thought some might be curious.

The computer Matthew Broderick used was an IMSAI 8080. I believe it was a CP/M machine, in real life.

The technique used for the synthesized voice in WarGames was not a real synth at all. From my DVD copy's commentary, it turns out that John Wood (who played Steven Faulken) read the sentences backwards, then they spliced the words together in the correct order and mechanized the voice, probably with a vocoder or something like that, to make it sound like a computer.

It sounded better than the old Kurzweil reading machine, at least, the one that used a tape drive to load up its programs on power-up. My school for the blind had one of those babies, it broke down every few months. Back then, they were so afraid of user error that you had to be specially trained on the thing, and, my teacher said I would get some kind of certification card that would entitle me to use a Kurzweil in any facility nationwide.

We have come a long way since then.

Again, sorry for coming in so late on this. As you can tell, I'm waaay behind on this list.

Cheers!