Re: Remove beeps from list of emails

Hi,

At a nutshell, this add-on will beep the screen coordinate of the object one is moving to. This is applicable to both navigator object and system focus. This is the reason why the beep is heard.

I’d be curious to know if this happened with other apps – any app that presents controls that can be arrowed through (such as files and folders list in File Explorer) will exhibit this behavior.

The NVDA Core version of this add-on (pending approval from NV Access people as it was reviewed not long ago) will let users configure this setting:

• No beep
  • Only beep for system focus changes
  • Beep for object navigation commands
  • Both system focus and object navigation

The intended purpose of Object Location Tones add-on (and the NVDA Core version of that) is to let users know where things are on screen – to serve as a screen orientation aid for those needing it. An equivalent functionality for touchscreens is part of Enhanced Touch Gestures (some portions of that add-on will be packaged as a pull request for NVDA later). If I didn’t spell that out clearly on add-ons page, I sincerely apologize (a huge failure on my part, which I need to address before I go down to Santa Ana, California for a national speech tournament next week).

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2019 9:41 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Remove beeps from list of emails

So, as I understand the description, this is only supposed to happen when using Object navigation and moving the navigator with the navigator movement keys.  I wonder what it is in Outlook that causes the beeps to sound when the navigator is moved as it follows the application as used from the main keyboard?

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2019 7:43 PM

Hi,

That’s my conclusion as well.

That add-on is meant to be a proof of concept implementation of the following NVDA issue:

https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/2559

Luckily, the NVDA Core implementation of this add-on will be sensitive to configuration profiles – it is just awaiting code review at the moment.
Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2019 2:50 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

I just checked.  The name of the add-on is object location tones. 
The description says, "After installing this add-on and restarting NVDA (or when you enable this add-on), as you navigate to different controls, you'll hear tones to indicate where the object is located on screen."  It is evidently seeing items in Outlook like different messages in the list as controls.  I assume from the fact that you don't complain about this in other programs such as Windows Explorer, that this generally doesn't happen.

That also explains why when you turned off the object navigator moving as you moved in the application, that no beeps were heard.  the object navigator didn't move and the add-on was therefore unaware that you were moving in the application. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2019 4:36 PM

Joseph,

I went into the ad on manager and disabled your beep add-on and the problem has gone away! Now when I toggle NVDA+7 to either on or off there is no more beeping!

This is a brutal way to resolve the problem but it is a relief. However, I would like to understand what was happening and why I could not simply toggle the beeps on or off without losing the ability to Trak the cursor.

All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.