Re: Observation of Reply Behaviour of Some List Members

Tyler Wood

Hi,
The really frustrating part of this is when mail clients don't honor the thread system to begin with, which then adds even more confusion when you have 2 or more threads with the same subject and are actually trying to follow those threads. Someone could reply to a message in one thread but said message could have actually been meant for a reply in the *other* thread with the exact same subject.

Threaded view is something I can't recommend enough, with that being said. It makes it oh so easy to browse through a higher traffic mailing list and read through the subjects we're interested in as well as, most importantly, making sure a question has indeed been answered before hitting that reply button.

Why mail clients are still, in 2019 not honoring the threaded view and starting an entire new one is beyond me - is there anything specific that would cause such a thing?

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Felix G.
Sent: April 12, 2019 1:44 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Observation of Reply Behaviour of Some List Members

Hi,
I can only speak from my experience. Years ago I used to behave in the same way, and the reason was that my mail reader wasn't configured to a thread-centric view but rather to a message-centric one, so my inbox was a one-dimensional list of messages. Nowadays I only use the Gmail web interface and that sorts everything by threads, by importance, and by lots of other criteria only the Google AI knows.
Best,
Felix

Am Fr., 12. Apr. 2019 um 07:31 Uhr schrieb Andre Fisher
<andrefisher729@...>:

Hi.

I've noticed a lot recently, that when a topic is replied to, some list members do not read the responses to the initial post. This is evident when someone asks a question, then gets a response, likely answering the question or resolving an issue. Subsequent responses to the thread seek to provide the same response, sometimes more than once, with the same solution/answer, or questions relating to the issue, even after the opening poster has stated in the thread that all is resolved. Is there a good explanation for this? Now, I am not a moderator, so can't enforce anything, but I find it very annoying to have to skip through multiple messages of the same origin. Why don't persons read the thread in its entirety before posting?

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.