Re: Korean Braille and Hangul

Hi,
I am one of the narrative authorities on this subject: born in South Korea, immigrated to United States as a child, and is the original author of Korean braille table set in Liblouis:
Korean braille may appear to be the same - using same dots in different places. This is because of the structure of a Korean/Hangul letter: initial consonant, a vowel, and zero or more consonants, at least visually and for grade 1 (uncontracted). Contracted, or grade 2, uses one or two cells to represent a single Korean letter.
Although dots for consonants may look a bit weird, dot combos for vowels are inspired by a well-known east Asian philosophy called "yin and yang" - polar opposites. For example, the first two vowels have opposing dot combinations - ah is dots 1-2-6, whereas yah is 3-4-5.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marco Oros
Sent: Saturday, April 13, 2019 2:12 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Korean Braille and Hangul

Anyeong haseyo!

This is special question for people from South Korea. Really, I don't know, if there are some North Koreans, so to be concrete, Koreans. There are various communities in China, Australia and U.S. of this unique nation for me.

But, stop those flattering writings about Koreans.

Every Koreans nowadays writes in korean script Hangeul (or chosongeul), but blind people uses Korean braille. Ofcourse, there are chinese characters Hanja, but It is for another message and It is not subject.

Is It true, that braille symbols of Koorean brailles are looking same, as korean featural alphabet Hangul, or not?

How is It? Because I have heard something and I would like to know, how It is real.

Gomabseumnida!

Marco from Slovakia

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.