Re: How to contact list members off list?

Gene

Not a bug, its because of what Brian said, that the sender's address isn't in the to field.  But I didn't know what would happen when this was tried because the program might get the information from something else in the message.
In Windows Live Mail, if you are in a message and you shift tab through the headers, you get to a button that says Contact's name and the name is shown there.  If you right click or use the context menu key, you find options, one of which is to send message.  If you press enter, a message opens with the sender's address in it when working with this list.  So Windows Live Mail gets the information even if the address isn't in the from line.  As I said, how you do this varies from program to program but one thing I've always found to work is the message properties and that's why I discussed it, in case it is needed.

From: Dan Beaver
Sent: Saturday, April 13, 2019 3:05 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] How to contact list members off list?

Gene,

I just tried this and it does  show a reply to sender choice.  However, when on the email in the list and I do this it opens a new email but the to: field is populated with the list email address not the original sender.  Maybe a bug here or something.

Dan Beaver

On 4/13/2019 3:56 PM, Gene wrote:
Thunderbird appears not to have a message properties function.  But you can see the message details by opening message source in the view menu.  If you look down the details, you will find the from information.

But if you can do it the following way instead, it is much faster and easier.

Don't be in the message.  Be on the message in the list.
Open the context menu.  You will find all sorts of items regarding working with the message and other items.  You can see if reply to sender works.with mail from various lists.  I don't have Thunderbird associated with any account I use for list mail.

Sent: Saturday, April 13, 2019 2:41 PM

Whatever the case, if you get into message properties and look at the technical information, the senders address is included in any e-mail program I've looked at this in.  That's on this list as well.  I don't know if this is universal, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is very wide spread.
Sent: Saturday, April 13, 2019 2:23 PM

Judy,

          I don't think there's a way to do this under Groups.io because the actual sender's address is not a part of the From: field.

          If it were, you could use the standard Reply keyboard shortcut, but doing that for a list message replies to the group, not the originating sender.  I believe the only way to reply directly to sender, without also including the list, with ease in most e-mail clients is hitting that Reply to Sender link at the end of messages or digest entries.  That's why that particular link came into existence in the very early days of Groups.io.

           I've never dealt with an e-mailing list where direct replies to originating senders of single messages didn't involve a workaround of some kind as the From: and Reply-To are usually set to the mailing list address.

           ~ Edward Abbey

--
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)