From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Luke
Davis
Sent: Saturday, April 13, 2019 3:58 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Autorun for the portable version?

I didn't see this explicitly mentioned, although it was probably implied by
some of the drive letter discussion.

If you don't want to launch Narrator in order to figure out which drive
letter
your USB stick was assigned to, or if you don't want to have to find your
USB
stick in file explorer and start NVDA that way, there is a brute force
method of
starting NVDA.

You simply try starting NVDA on each successive drive letter, until one of
them
works. Nothing bad is likely to happen if it's not on a given drive, or if
there is no drive at that letter.

If your portable nvda can be started by typing "nvda" at the root of the
drive,
trying something like:

Press Windows-r, to open the run dialog.
Type "e:\nvda", and press enter.

One of three things will happen.
1. NVDA will start--boom, you're done.
2. You'll get the windows error sound.
3. You'll hear nothing, which probably means windows is telling you to
insert a
disk into that drive (if maybe drive E is a DVD drive or the like).

If either 2 or 3 is what happens, just press enter, which will return you to
the
run dialog, then press backspace to delete the current selection (the last
thing
you typed), and try the next drive.

So, if you insert a USB stick, and it gets drive letter G, the whole process

might look like:

windows-r
e:\nvda
enter
[You hear silence]
enter
backspace
f:\nvda
enter
[You hear the Windows error ding]
Enter
backspace
g:\nvda
enter
[You hear the NVDA start chimes, or other indication of NVDA starting]

You can keep increasing drive letters until eventually NVDA starts. Since
often
a new USB stick will be one of the early drive letters, you won't usually
have
to go far.

If you are very used to this process, it can be faster or more efficient
than
starting Narrator and browsing to the drive in question. Just another
option.
Often I'll start with the most likely drives, such as G, then F, then H.
You'll
learn the most likely drives for your situation if you do this.

If your path is a little longer than e:\nvda, such as if your NVDA is in a
subfolder, you might want to type e:\nvda\nvda (or whatever) for the first
one,
then replace the backspace key with home, delete, new
drive letter, enter, for each subsequent one.

All of this takes a lot longer to read than it does to do.:)

Hth.

Luke

On Tue, 9 Apr 2019, Judy Jones wrote:

Remind me again, if I don?t know the drive letter, for instance if I have
a position that requires  a floating work station, how again would I
activate my
portable copy?

I will check out your tutorials probably tomorrow or the next day for
sure.

Thanks.

Judy