Re: problem with NVDA screen reader

Curtis Golightly <curtis.golightly@...>

I appreciate the info about configuration not going away when
reinstalled. How would I reset it to default. I don't know who
originally installed this software, but as far as I can  tell he has not
modified anything in it.

The OS is Windows 10, Release 1809, using IE11 for his browser. I did
try Edge and it made no difference.

After working on it earlier today and listening to his description of
when it happened I thought it might be due to a conflict with this
months Windows updates. I know they frequent break other applications.

On 4/24/2019 4:52 PM, Jackie wrote:
Curtis, w/all due respect, you don't tell us a lot here, ie, what
version of windows is he using, what version of NVDA is he using, what
browser, has he tried another browser, etc. The other thing is, if
your friend/client messed up something in his NVDA configuration, that
is located in the users roaming folder & doesn't go away simply w/a
reinstall. There is an item in the NVDA menu to revert the
configuration to factory defaults. It's a last resort, though, if he
has settings already saved. NVDA also has a logging facility. The last
log can be viewed by pressing the NVDA modifier key + f1. You can view
these yourself or send 1 to the list if you feel stuck. Also, another
thing to try is to see if your friend has any addons installed, &
disable them if so. That applies both to NVDA itself as well as to the
browser.

You're a technician; therefore, you know how to troubleshoot. Screen
readers are a bit of a different kettle of fish, perhaps, but
troubleshooting them is similar to troubleshooting other pieces of
software. You're not as over your head as you think. There are a lot
of nice folks on here who are ready to help if at all possible.

On 4/24/19, Curtis Golightly <curtis.golightly@...> wrote:
  Hello,

I hope you can point me in the right direction. I am a computer repair /
technician who has a client who is loosing his eye sight.

He choose to use NVDA as his screen reader and for several months it has
worked just fine for him. Starting last week it quit reading web pages.
It reads the banner, (top line or two), stops and does nothing or it
repeats it.

My knowledge of screen readers is limited, I do have a couple of other
clients who use Jaws, but I really am in over my head and yet I hate to
leave my friend without somewhere to turn.

He especially enjoys LSU sports website and  I tried without success to
get it to read the page.

I tried removing and reinstalling NVDA in case there was some file
corruption or issue with the current profile settings, this did not help.

Any idea  how to proceed?

Thanks in  advance for your help,

Curtis Golightly