Re: Hemingway Editor - Command for Colors with NVDA

Quentin Christensen

Hi Brian,

Yes NVDA reports background colour changes.  In Hemingway the text stays black and it is the background colour which changes so that is useful.  The desktop app works ok as a very basic text editor and you can have NVDA report colour changes.  There is a panel on the right which indicates how many of each issue type it has located, but the only way I've found to get there is with object navigation.  It also seems a curious exclusion that there is no keystroke to jump to the next issue.  Finally, it has a traditional looking menu... but you again, you can't get to it with regular keyboard navigation.

So, all in all, much as I like the ability to pick up on basic potential readability issues, Hemingway definitely has issues.

Quentin.

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 9:14 AM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
I have never used NVDA to try to report background color, but I seem to recall discussions of it being able to do so for Excel cells (as well as reporting text color as well).  The exact how I do not know, and I have not found the magic search terms to pull anything up from the group archive.

The main webpage for Hemingway shows a number of blocks of text with background colors that demonstrate what the software actually does. In fact, their demo is where you paste your own text if using the web app.   I am not finding it particularly accessible, as I wasn't able to get to the various boxes giving counts, and background colors for the various things it flags, except by mousing over them.

Unfortunately the Desktop app, which is likely at least somewhat more accessible (possibly entirely accessible), costs $19.99.  I did not continue along far enough to see what, if any, refund policy they might have or if there's a fully functional demo version that will run for some short period of time.

Unless I'm missing something (and I could be) the web app on the Hemingway site has limited accessibility in terms of what one would actually be using it for (which is not exactly surprising given that the presentation is directly targeted at vision using color-coding.  Others may be able to evaluate whether it's my lack of ultra-in-depth skill with NVDA that's made me have that opinion, but I'm just not seeing this as being an easy web app/website to use.

           ~ Edward Abbey

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager