Re: So Why Is It Called Ducking Anyway?

Curtis Delzer

no, because what happens is that a part of the audio "ducks" down, like ducking out of the way of a thrown tomato. :)

Curtis Delzer
HS
W B 6 H E F
Rialto, CA

On 4/28/2019 10:36 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

Well, I'm the clown--I mean--person who mistakenly kept calling the word 'ducking' 'ducting.'  I don't have good hearing and I just assumed without ever looking at it all these years that it must be 'ducting.'  That seemed to make more sense.

A quick look at Wictionary shows that ducking has to do with the quick avoidance of an object, circumstance or issue.  He ducked when the rock was thrown at him.  The politician ducked the question put to him by an aggressive journalist.

Ducting on the other hand is the process of channeling fluid, air or some substance into a channel or multiple ducting into separate channels--such as for example 2 sound sources being seperated with one given prominence when they conflict.  It would seem to me that 'ducting' would be a better choice for calling what NVDA does as well as JAWS and Apple products.  They separate and make one source prominent over another.

So just how is the term 'ducking' used in this context to refer to what NVDA does?  Inquiring minds want to know.