Re: Announcement of “Filed” Status

Gene

If you don't have to use the object navigator for other things, you can have it not follow NVDA as it does what it does in applications and windows.  If the information is always in the same place, if you place it there, then read the current line where the navigator is, or the current word, whichever one provides the information most efficiently, you can read the information with one keystroke on every message you move to.  Instructions I can write won't completely match the new interface of NVDA, I use an older version.  But if you need them, I can give you an idea of how to do this.  If you think what I am describing will do what you want, others will probably send instructions.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2019 1:07 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Announcement of “Filed” Status

Brian:
Thank you for your response.
When NVDA reports email messages, it reports the display as if it were in a table; however, one does not need to use the table reading commands to arrow up and down through the list of email messages.
Nevertheless, if one does use the table reading commands, from left to right, NVDA announces the following:
Status (read/unread);
Unknown graphic header status;
Graphic, Row 6, column 2;
No Attachment, Column 3;
name of person who sent the message (Column 4);
Subject of the message;
Filing indicator yes/no (Column 6).
So, NVDA properly reports the “filed status” of the email message; it is just that I need to read over to the 6th column (but it takes more like 9 presses of the read cell to the right command.
JAWS reads this “filed status” automatically, right after the subject of the email message.
I am so glad you mentioned the screen scraping.  We are using an email management tool that attempts to predict the client and matter numbers where email messages are to be filed.  I’m sure this program, an Outlook add-in) is supplying this filed status indicator.
Anyway, one of several reasons why I’ve turned to NVDA is that JAWS is so painfully slow.  Having to wait 10 to 15 seconds between thea nnouncement of an email message’s subject is intolerable.
NVDA, by contrast is nearly instantaneous.
> On Apr 29, 2019, at 3:39 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists@...> wrote:
>
> I'm not sure what you  mean by filed status though. I guess one annoying thing is that Jaws does a lot of things differently. It will no longer read the read status of emails yet it does read the filed status. I'm confused. These attributes in Microsoft software seem to have been a bugbear for many years changing a bit and throwing off routines put in to find them and read them.
> One has to remember here that Jaws is still installing a screenscraper driver whereas NVDA does not.
> Brian
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal E-mail to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Ed Marquette" <marquette.ed@...>
> To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2019 1:58 PM
> Subject: [nvda] Announcement of “Filed” Status
>
>
> When one reads through the list of email messages in Microsoft Outlook (2013), a number of attributes (probably the correct term is “header fields”) are announced, e.g., “From,” “Received Date,” “Attachment Presence,” and “Size.”
> On our firm’s system, we also have a “Filed Status” indication that either reads “Yes” or “No.”
> If I manually read the cells, Outlook messages are presented in table format), I find that this status indication is presented in what NVDA calls column 6.
> This “Filed” status indication is the second most important feature, for my purposes.
> I have moved it up in Outlook, and JAWS reads it fine.  I cannot, however, get NVDA to read it automatically as I arrow up and down through the inbox. I think I am missing something.
> Any assistance would be appreciated.
>
>
>
>
>
>

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.