Re: Announcement of “Filed” Status

Gene

If you don't have to use the object navigator for other things, you can have it not follow NVDA as it does what it does in applications and windows.  If the information is always in the same place, if you place it there, then read the current line where the navigator is, or the current word, whichever one provides the information most efficiently, you can read the information with one keystroke on every message you move to.  Instructions I can write won't completely match the new interface of NVDA, I use an older version.  But if you need them, I can give you an idea of how to do this.  If you think what I am describing will do what you want, others will probably send instructions.

Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2019 1:07 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Announcement of “Filed” Status

Brian:
Thank you for your response.
When NVDA reports email messages, it reports the display as if it were in a table; however, one does not need to use the table reading commands to arrow up and down through the list of email messages.
Nevertheless, if one does use the table reading commands, from left to right, NVDA announces the following:
Status (read/unread);
Unknown graphic header status;
Graphic, Row 6, column 2;
No Attachment, Column 3;
name of person who sent the message (Column 4);
Subject of the message;
Filing indicator yes/no (Column 6).
So, NVDA properly reports the “filed status” of the email message; it is just that I need to read over to the 6th column (but it takes more like 9 presses of the read cell to the right command.
JAWS reads this “filed status” automatically, right after the subject of the email message.
I am so glad you mentioned the screen scraping.  We are using an email management tool that attempts to predict the client and matter numbers where email messages are to be filed.  I’m sure this program, an Outlook add-in) is supplying this filed status indicator.
Anyway, one of several reasons why I’ve turned to NVDA is that JAWS is so painfully slow.  Having to wait 10 to 15 seconds between thea nnouncement of an email message’s subject is intolerable.
NVDA, by contrast is nearly instantaneous.