Re: blank lines in outlook 2016

Sam Bushman

That is a great point. I will try to use only control to stop speech.

I have been using up arrow. Thinking if speech stops and I go up on line from where it stopped I should be in good shape.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, May 1, 2019 9:54 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] blank lines in outlook 2016

First, it is important to use correct commands to do tasks.  Other commands may work at times but they may lead to unwanted behaviors.  One example is escape.  It is not a documented stop speech or stop read to end command.  If you use it in those ways, you may have behaviors you don't want.  You may close a dialog or something else.  If I have an opened e-mail message and I use it, the message closes.  The result is that I have to reopen the message again and I have completely lost my place.  Control is the stop speech command.  While any key will stop speech, the key will take whatever action it normally takes as well.  Stopping speech when any key is pressed is done so that old speech won't continue when you take a new action.  Control is the documented stop speech command in all screen-readers I am familiar with because control, when pressed by itself, takes no actions other than to stop speech.  it stops speech just as pressing any key does so it isn't taking that action as a control key function.  NVDA is stopping speech because a key is pressed. 

It is very easy to find a link if you stop speech near it.  Use the command k to move you to the next link or shift k to move you to the previous link.  If you have read the link and are passed it, shift k will take you back to it with one issuance of the command because it is the previous link. 

I am assuming you are reading mail as html.  If you aren't, that command won't work. 

You can also tab or shift tab to move to the next and previous link respectively.  However, in my e-mail program, that often takes you to a link far away from the one you want because of an alignment problem in browse mode when using the e-mail program I use.  K and shift k doesn't have that problewm.  You can experiment and see what happens in your e-mail program if you wish.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 8:48 AM

When you use read to end – then want to get a link to click on – how do you find the link – highlight it and then click on it.

You press esc or another key to stop the read to end – then you need to arrow around to find the link to click on. I just get blank over and over. Any other suggestions?

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, May 1, 2019 7:22 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Why are you down arrowing through the message?  Do you have to do so for some reason?  If you use read to end, no blank lines will be spoken.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 7:26 AM

Subject: [nvda] blank lines in outlook 2016

Hi All,

I have two main problems with outlook 2016 – the 32bit version that you can download and install from office 365.

1. I get blank line over and over when arrowing through messages. Is there a way to ignore / compress more than one blank line in a row?
  2. Often the outlook crashes and restarts. This only happens with NVDA. I have briefed several on this list before and have sent in logs etc. Does this crashing on certain messages happen to anyone else? If I view the message by either looking at it from a forward or a reply it doesn’t crash.

Thanks so much for any input.

Sam

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.