Re: blank lines in outlook 2016

Sam Bushman

That is a great point. I will try to use only control to stop speech.

I have been using up arrow. Thinking if speech stops and I go up on line from where it stopped I should be in good shape.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, May 1, 2019 9:54 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] blank lines in outlook 2016

First, it is important to use correct commands to do tasks.  Other commands may work at times but they may lead to unwanted behaviors.  One example is escape.  It is not a documented stop speech or stop read to end command.  If you use it in those ways, you may have behaviors you don't want.  You may close a dialog or something else.  If I have an opened e-mail message and I use it, the message closes.  The result is that I have to reopen the message again and I have completely lost my place.  Control is the stop speech command.  While any key will stop speech, the key will take whatever action it normally takes as well.  Stopping speech when any key is pressed is done so that old speech won't continue when you take a new action.  Control is the documented stop speech command in all screen-readers I am familiar with because control, when pressed by itself, takes no actions other than to stop speech.  it stops speech just as pressing any key does so it isn't taking that action as a control key function.  NVDA is stopping speech because a key is pressed.

It is very easy to find a link if you stop speech near it.  Use the command k to move you to the next link or shift k to move you to the previous link.  If you have read the link and are passed it, shift k will take you back to it with one issuance of the command because it is the previous link.

I am assuming you are reading mail as html.  If you aren't, that command won't work.

You can also tab or shift tab to move to the next and previous link respectively.  However, in my e-mail program, that often takes you to a link far away from the one you want because of an alignment problem in browse mode when using the e-mail program I use.  K and shift k doesn't have that problewm.  You can experiment and see what happens in your e-mail program if you wish.

Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 8:48 AM

When you use read to end – then want to get a link to click on – how do you find the link – highlight it and then click on it.

You press esc or another key to stop the read to end – then you need to arrow around to find the link to click on. I just get blank over and over. Any other suggestions?