Re: key assignments in NVDA

Luke Davis

Personally, I thought the whole point of laptop layout, was that it assumed you had no number pad or conventional six pack. Else why the differentiation between laptop and desktop? That is the primary difference between keyboard types--the lack of a number pad. I always either buy large laptops with number pads, or I use external keyboards on my smaller laptops without them, so have never learned or much used laptop layout.

So I'm saying I had always assumed (wrongly, it seems) that laptop layout would act as if you had no numpad as far as the screen reader was concerned, which would leave any numpad you do have to function as it would by default.
That seems the most logical arrangement to me.

Luke

On Tue, 7 May 2019, Quentin Christensen wrote:

I have seen this issue come up before.  I'm going to catch up with Mick and will raise it this afternoon.  In the meantime, clearly there are users who have
NVDA setup in Laptop keyboard layout and want to use the number pad for navigation.  Are there any users who have NVDA in Laptop keyboard layout and like
being able to use object navigation from the number pad as well?
Just thinking that if there are people who use laptop layout and number pad object navigation, your third hybrid keyboard layout could be a solution - but
if not, maybe setting the "desktop" object navigation keys to be desktop (only) keys would be a better solution.
Quentin.
On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 8:13 PM Andre Fisher <andrefisher729@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Quentin,

As this issue has been brought up on a few occasions before, I've been thinking of an easier solution that may help persons that have the same
desire. What I was thinking was that there could be a new keyboard layout that could accomodate this behaviour, or that the laptop layout by
default would behave like this. Then, there could be a different layout called hybrid or something like that, with laptop keystrokes and the
NUMPAD using object navigation keys.
--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager