Re: Switching from Win7 To Win10?

Kevin Cussick

win10 is very stable I think it is the best OS yet to date. I have put it on 10 machines and love it.

On 09/07/2016 04:12, Roger Stewart wrote:
So far, Win 10 works just the same as Win 7. That is, it saved
everything--all my programs and all my desktop shortcuts so I can just
type in a letter or two and start anything I want. The only big thing
I've noticed is that pull down menus don't work at all for some reason.
If I hit alt and down arrow, I get nonsense and don't know what it means
or wants. However, if I just hit the application key, then I get the old
style file menu with all the good old choices and I can do anything I
want just as I always did. Just one small thing to learn to keep using
it. It has never crashed, nor caused anything else to crash so far, and
seems as stable as Win 7 ever did. I would feel very mad if I had to
pay for this, but because it's a free upgrade, I have no objections to
it at all.

Roger

On 7/8/2016 6:50 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Well I do think then they have failed reguardless.
For those of us still on 7 there is a reason why.
Lets see.
1. the start menu.
For those on 7 its ok, in fact its better than ok.
In 10 we will have to either get used to the other one or fix it so it
works.
2. explorer.
In 7 its ok.now its ribboned and buttoned and makes no sence and I
don't know how to do a lot of things in it.
3. universal apps, who uses them more importantly why would you they
suck anyway.
4, mobile windows, same as 3.
5. edge, ie has issues, edge sucks to be honest we are happy with
firefox or chrome at least I am.
6. mail, it did suck but to be honest I have been using thunderbird
for so long I don't care.
7, the store, groove music, etc, don't need it what is wrong with what
I am using.
8. ms account, nice if you have chained devices but most of us don't
we don't even use onedrive.
8. stability, win7 is stable and doesn't care what hardware you have
for now at least.
9, windows10 sucks.
You know as users that said f**ck you win8x that ms would have
listened to us.
I feel as one of those users while they have listened partly its only
in part.
Win10 is still win8x with extra junk we don't need.
I'll use it eventually but hmmm.
With uia and its inconsistancies etc, I am left hanging wandering what
I am missing.
Win7 is the most stable windows.
And while I will use it win10 has been anything but stable.
I just want the hype to calm down so we can start on win11.
Now they are trying to help.
What about all the hastles with the gwx program, a little to late.
Office is much the same, office 2003 was fine, 2007 was ok, 2010 was
well fine but now its hmmm I don't know.
As a user that has stood back till I will eventually have to I do feel
ms has let us down by not fully listening to its userbase once again.
What I want is a simple win7 style explorer, menu, etc, with the local
account system we have always had using the old but stable programs we
always have done for our desktop computers.
With the ability to switch modes to others as we need or wish to start
and stop programs, etc.
Now I am not saying they didn't try, but its not enough as far as I care.
And they are including us more as users, they could still do a load
better.
I will stay with win7 till it dies or till my computer dies or till I
get a system with 10 on it which is brand new.
Thing is there are probably enough units round I won't ever need to do
that.
I am not a businessman.
I don't need complex stuff and a simple interface like win7 has been
has helped a lot.
Heck xp would be fine though I do like the 7 interface now.
I can get by on 10 I guess I want all my sounds back and the freedom
to do as I have always done.
If I could load my os kernal and run whatever desktop I wanted on it I
would, but still run my windows programs I would.
I have spent a bit to much to drop to linux though.

On 9/07/2016 2:55 a.m., Gene wrote:
Microsoft all but admitted that it failed the disabled community. It
said that if you are disabled, you can switch after the deadline.
I don't know how they determine that you are disabled. You might
want to ask. From: David Russell

If it were me, I wouldn't swittch.

\Sent: Friday, July 08, 2016 8:23 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Switching from Win7 To Win10?

Hello Group members,

I have held off on switching from Win7 to Win10 until now, and note
that in North America, switching is free until July 29.

I believe for vision-impaired NVDA users, myself included, resources
like the Microsoft Disability Answer Desk will help one switch.

I use NVDA, FireFox, MS Word, Jarte, and Google as primary programs
and often listen to online radio through tunein.com.

Have bugs been sufficiently resolved to make switching a viable option?

Has anyone seen how long Microsoft intends to provide support for Win7
beyond July 2016?

I bought my computer last September, and hope to retain it for at
least 3 more years. Thanks for input.