Re: Proposal to set NVDA's desktop layout object navigation keys to be active in desktop layout only

Ed Marquette

You may want to consider those of us who use a laptop, but who frequently either plug in a USP keyboard with a full number ped or plug the laptop into a port replication device and use a dedicated full keyboard with a number pad.
We frequently carry the laptop back and forth, using either the built-in keyboard with no number pad  or use the external keyboard.  For this reason, I like to keep the laptop set to laptop mode, but just use the separate number pad if it is   available.
Sometimes, when I’m concentrating, I forget what is actually enabled.  So, if laptop keyboard is always engaged and I have a full keyboard, I just use the separate number pad, and use the laptop navigation keys either when there is no separate number pad  or when I’m just concentrating.
Why not have an option three, e.g.:
1.  Laptop mode (with number pad functions disabled);
2.  Desktop; and
3.  Laptop with number pad still enabled?

On May 9, 2019, at 4:52 PM, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:

Hi Marcio,

Do you use laptop layout or desktop layout currently?  Laptop layout already redefines all the object navigation keys to use other keys on the keyboard (the original idea was that laptop layout would provide full functionality on a keyboard without a number pad).  Currently what actually happens is that with NVDA in laptop keyboard layout, you have access to BOTH the laptop layout object navigation, AND the desktop (number pad) object navigation.

Our proposal is to set the number pad object navigation commands to work ONLY in Desktop layout (which is what most people expect anyway).

Would that break how you currently use NVDA?  Since you said your number pad isn't working, it sounds like it shouldn't make a difference, but maybe I didn't explain it well to begin with.

Quentin.

On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 8:37 PM Ralf Kefferpuetz <ralf.kefferpuetz@...> wrote:

For a laptop with a numpad just set the layout to desktop and you’re done.