Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 8:28 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA versus JAWS

Hi Áine,

I would argue that NVDA can do everything our competitors can do, including OCR (on Windows 10, press NVDA+r then use the regular reading keys), however, I'll leave it to others to argue the pros and cons.

One thing I would suggest, in order to become most efficient with using NVDA, you might consider purchasing our training material.  Basic Training with NVDA is the first module I would recommend.  Despite the name, it actually covers everything from reading the time, up through complex tasks like using the review cursor, object navigation and creating configuration profiles.  We also have modules on using Word, Excel and Outlook with NVDA.  You can purchase these individually, or in our NVDA Productivity Bundle which also includes telephone support.

All of those are available from the NV Access shop: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 11:03 AM Aine Kelly Costello <ainekc@...> wrote:
Hi all,

New here and my apologies if this topic has been well-covered before but I’ve not found an efficient ways to search group archives yet!

I’m switching back to Windows after using a Mac for a couple of years, as I’ll be studying investigative journalism and am fairly sure I’ll find any software we need to use etc. to work better on Windows than Mac (still getting info on that).

I’m moving overseas, where I probably won’t have access to funding for technology, etc., as an international student. So I’m trying to work out now whether to exclusively use NVDA or try and purchase a JAWS SMA while I’m still living in New Zealand.

My question is: can you tell me about anything that springs to mind that NVDA does particularly poorly that JAWS does well? In the domains of MS Word, excel and web browsing, in particular.

I imagine JAWS is well-ahead of NVDA in OCRing by now, for instance, but perhaps there’s enough free software around to do this efficiently now that that’s not a big deal any more … thoughts?

Thanks very much in advance,

Best wishes,

Áine

--