locked Re: NVDA versus JAWS

Gene

What do yu mean by everything?  If you really mean "everything," That is incorrect.  NVDA is good enough that what it does doesn't need to be exaggerated.  That disappoints people and harms credibility.  I'll leave it to others to site other thingsit doesn't do since I don't use programs like Word, where I don't know if its support is yet as inclusive.  It has improved enormously, from what I've read on the list compared to a few years ago.  So lets consider a few things I know:
You can't label graphics.  You can't define frames and assign actions to them.  You don't have a screen echo that can be set by the user to echo none, some, or all.  Many users know that NVDA can echo information automatically that is placed on the screen in the DOS prompt.  If you set screen echo in JAWS to all, JAWS echos new information automatically in general, which is very useful at times.  And it can be skipped forward and back in with the JAWS repeat and skip lines, performed with the shift keys, while screen echo content is spoken.  That can, at times, make working with a program you haven't defined frames for and where you want to hear material automatically echoed far more efficient under certain circumstances. 

And the one more thing I know of and can think of now, NVDA doesn't allow you to set whether description is read before or after the text of something is spoken.  Thus, the user can't choose to have text of a link spoken either before or after visited link is spoken.  You can't determine whether button is spoken before or after the text of the button is read, etc.  I don't think JAWS allows you to individually set these things, but you can determine the general pattern.

NVDA does some things better than JAWS.  Since I haven't used JAWS in years, I won't discuss them, because I am not familiar with such instances as they may exist today. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 8:28 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA versus JAWS

Hi Áine,

I would argue that NVDA can do everything our competitors can do, including OCR (on Windows 10, press NVDA+r then use the regular reading keys), however, I'll leave it to others to argue the pros and cons.

One thing I would suggest, in order to become most efficient with using NVDA, you might consider purchasing our training material.  Basic Training with NVDA is the first module I would recommend.  Despite the name, it actually covers everything from reading the time, up through complex tasks like using the review cursor, object navigation and creating configuration profiles.  We also have modules on using Word, Excel and Outlook with NVDA.  You can purchase these individually, or in our NVDA Productivity Bundle which also includes telephone support.

All of those are available from the NV Access shop: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 11:03 AM Aine Kelly Costello <ainekc@...> wrote:
Hi all,

New here and my apologies if this topic has been well-covered before but I’ve not found an efficient ways to search group archives yet!

I’m switching back to Windows after using a Mac for a couple of years, as I’ll be studying investigative journalism and am fairly sure I’ll find any software we need to use etc. to work better on Windows than Mac (still getting info on that).

I’m moving overseas, where I probably won’t have access to funding for technology, etc., as an international student. So I’m trying to work out now whether to exclusively use NVDA or try and purchase a JAWS SMA while I’m still living in New Zealand.

My question is: can you tell me about anything that springs to mind that NVDA does particularly poorly that JAWS does well? In the domains of MS Word, excel and web browsing, in particular.

I imagine JAWS is well-ahead of NVDA in OCRing by now, for instance, but perhaps there’s enough free software around to do this efficiently now that that’s not a big deal any more … thoughts?

Thanks very much in advance,

Best wishes,

Áine

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.