Re: Selecting a block of text.

Gene

Which makes perfect sense since you are copying from the position of the object navigator.  People may wish to use this procedure in other contexts, but it is intended to be used at times when there is no application cursor and where, for that reason, control c and control v won't work. I also suspect it may matter whether you are in screen review mode or in object navigation mode.  I suspect you should be in object navigation mode.  if so, this is another example of why NVDA should revert to object navigation mode automatically when you leave the window you are using screen review in.  How many such examples need to be seen before this is really seriously considered?

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2019 4:22 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Selecting a block of text.

Hi

I have done some testing and if you set “Caret moves review cursor” (NVDA + 6 on number row), to ON, the copy using review cursor feature works, if it is set to off, it just copies the last character selected to the clipboard.

Cheers

Chris   

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: 22 May 2019 01:19
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Cc: NVDA Official Group
Subject: Re: [nvda] Selecting a block of text.

Hi Ali,

Firstly, just to confirm that you are familiar with the current behaviour of selecting with the review cursor - NVDA+F9 to mark the start of the block, move to the end of the block and NVDA+F10 once to select the block or NVDA+F10 twice quickly to select and copy it.  If you use the review cursor to select and then press control+c to copy for instance, it may not work depending on whether it is possible to select text with the conventional text cursor.  If you press NVDA+f10 once and NVDA reports "Cannot select text, press twice to copy", then you will need to copy by pressing NVDA+F10 twice quickly.

It might be worth restarting NVDA with add-ons disabled, just to ensure there are no add-ons playing up.  Press NVDA+Q then down arrow to "Restart with add-ons disabled" and press ENTER to restart, then try again.

Otherwise, if you set the log to debug (in the general settings with NVDA+control+g then tab to the log level, down arrow to select debug and enter to close), repeat the actions and then copy the log to an email to me, I can have a look at exactly what is going on.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 9:45 AM Ali Colak <alish54@...> wrote:

Hello everyone,
For a while now, I have been having problems with the select a block
of text function on nvda.
When I place the start marker by pressing nvda f9 everything is fine,
the start marker is announced. When I go to the end of the block to
press nvda f10, the curser winds back to the beginning and only
selects and places in the clipboard the first letter of the section. I
have tried this on various browsers and the same result each time and
with different types of content. I have been having this problem for a
while now and am currently using 2019.1.1. I was hoping that
installing the clip contents designer would solve the problem, but
something similar seems to happen.

help would be appreciated.

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.